PC Hardware forum

General discussion

motherboard and pcu upgrade

by dan31623 / May 27, 2008 2:08 AM PDT

hi, i recently dug out my old pc because i wanted to see if i could use it for a home network but i realised that it probably not good enough for gaming and stuff like that and the cmos battery shoulder holder is broke and wont hold it and the socket which i plug the monitor cable in is on its way out. so i was wondering whether i could just get a better motherboard and cpu and a bigger hdd too and just use the rest of the stuff thats already there? and is this really worth doing or expensive because i havnt got loads of money to upgrade it with at the mo. i've already bought a slight ram upgrade from 64mb sdram to 2 X 128mb i know this still probably isnt enough. im not sure hoe to find out the type of motherboard i have or cpu? can anyone tell me how? i've got it sitting here all open next to me so i can have a look if i need to. i dont know all the specs but it runs xp home and its got a 40 gb hdd. Its a dell optiplex, do you need to know the exact model? its one of them old flat desktop ones. if anyone could help me out that would be great thanx. Dan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: motherboard and pcu upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: motherboard and pcu upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Really need a model number
by Dango517 / May 27, 2008 4:00 AM PDT

to tell. It should be on the tower, on the front. If not down load this software and post your specifications here.

http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

I'd suggest a combo (combination) purchase like this if it's worth upgrading:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135082

Have you upgraded a PC before? If not you might just replace it with a low end PC for a few hundred dollars.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883114055

This is no dream machine. Read the specification carefully

Collapse -
ok thanx....
by dan31623 / May 27, 2008 4:31 AM PDT

im from the uk so i'll have to buy one over here. i've changed parts between pc's before but never really upgraded one so i've decided its probably best just to buy a low range one then go from there. thanx for your advice tho it was very helpful.

Collapse -
Might be best,
by Dango517 / May 27, 2008 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: ok thanx....

there's more to this then one might think. Doing it is fairly easy. The work that is but the compatibilities can be a bit of a sticky wicket.

Collapse -
"Its a dell optiplex,"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2008 12:28 AM PDT

Let me be blunt. Today's motherboards have too many changes from what was in there. DON'T DO IT.

Why should I list the parts you'll save? But in short let's skip to what is the best update to get some gaming out of that box. I suggest you look at this list -> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-cards,1805.html for your AGP slot then check the power supply rating and call it quits.

The headaches of saving what may be the case, the CD/DVD drive and nothing else is usually not worth it. Even the OS may fail to relocate and many don't plan on that.

Collapse -
true....
by dan31623 / May 29, 2008 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: "Its a dell optiplex,"

it's seen better days i think. i thought i would just check and see whether it would have been worth doing something with it before i got rid of it. someone gave it to me a while ago but i never realised it was so old! theres a lot to learn about pc's for me. i thinking of maybe buying seperate parts and over time and making a newer one or if i can just get a low range and build on that. i've got another pc which is is high spec so im not desperate for another one anyway. thanx for your advice, its very helpfull.

Collapse -
if you like the old case...
by squirtlewa / May 29, 2008 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: true....

It's not bad to save and upgrade an old case.

What you save is the case and its fans, the power supply if it's adequate, your optical drives, and little things like card readers or what have you. You also save the landfill from a pile of toxic junk.

Often times the only thing really worn out on an old computer is just that it can't keep up with the demands of today's programs. A new mobo that supports modern CPUs and ddr2 RAM could be done reasonably nicely for under $400 for it all. It's definitely easier to toss and buy new, but since time isn't an issue here...

Collapse -
Note:
by Dango517 / May 29, 2008 4:04 PM PDT

PCs contain to two primary contaminates, lead from solder and flame retardants. Many of the flame retardants are naturally curring substances that are non-toxic. Lead is a heavy metal and because of it's weight, it may not travel far from the landfill. This of course varies from PC too PC and the materials used so there might be some PCs safer then others. See the abundance of sources on the web about this topic. This is a generalized comment and has little technical merit, see official sources for further information.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.