Desktops forum

General discussion

Motherboard $150-100 sugestions for mid range gaming desktop

by cherrypopper808 / March 1, 2009 6:10 AM PST

I'm looking at building my 1st comp. My main objective is to build a mid range comp that can handle my gaming desires. I won't be doing overclocking or having any CPU higher then a Duo core 2 E8400 or maybe a mid range quad core. Graphics wise I don't think I need anything higher the 512 dedicated (I'm okay with 256 dedicated, but if there's a good deal for 512 dedicated I'll take it). My budget is $1200-1000 for everything including monitor. I'm debating if I want DDR2 or DDR3 memory (my price range for memory is $150-100). The only motherboard brand that I'm familiar with that has my price range is ASUS. I'm looking for suggestions for other brands people have used before, and specific motherboards people have used (that would fit my general specs) with pros and cons.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Motherboard $150-100 sugestions for mid range gaming desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Motherboard $150-100 sugestions for mid range gaming desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
mid range gamer won't use mobo graphics
by ramarc / March 1, 2009 8:03 AM PST

the asus p5q pro is a great $120 mobo and includes heat pipe cooling:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299. (i own this mobo.) the p5q se plus is a good $100 choices: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131347

the core i7 can take advantage of ddr3 but there's really no need to use ddr3 with a core2duo/quad. ddr3-1333 is barely faster than ddr2-1066 and only noticeable in benchmarks. 4gb ddr2-1066 cl5 is only $55 or so.

as for a video card, 512mb is now the minimum. you should be able to afford either a radeon hd 4870 512mb ($180), 4870 1gb ($245) or geforce gtx 260 896mb ($215).

Collapse -
multicore games

games are becoming increasingly multicore, get a Phenom II 720 BE, you now spent $20 less on the CPU and got an overall performance increase. Excellent overclockers they are too.

the GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4 or the ASUS M4A78T-E are fine mobos for your price range, I'd go with the ASUS if you want DDR3 and future proofing and the Gigabyte to use savings from having DDR2 in a higher end graphics card

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?