MacBooks forum

General discussion

Most secure notebook lock?

by applky / January 17, 2010 11:01 AM PST

Hi folks,

Simple question: what's the most secure notebook lock of those that are widely available (points for it being available on Amazon or Newegg). I bought the Kensington Microsaver Keyed Twin Notebook Lock (two locks; I'm locking a hard drive as well) and the Kensington Combosaver Combination Notebook Lock Ultra to test out and (eventually) send back to Amazon. Links here for reference:

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-MicroSaver-Notebook-Computers-Monitors/dp/B00006HXT9

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001911ZZS

Obviously tubular locks can be picked by industrious thieves (or just about anyone). Does the same hold true for this particular combo lock? I'd much prefer a combo lock if I knew that it was absolutely secure (minus the combo falling into the wrong hands, of course), but some combo locks can be picked even more easily than tubular locks.

Anyway, my point is that I'd like a lock that acts as slightly more than a mere sight deterrent, and actually could stop a thief from taking my laptop/hard drive. Again, I'm looking for something that fits into the standard security slot and can be bought through Amazon or Newegg or another such retailer. Obviously I'm not expecting magic, since industrial solutions are very expensive, but I'd like to fully explore my options.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Most secure notebook lock?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Most secure notebook lock?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
THE BEST MAC SECURITY LOCK I KNOW OF MACLOCKS.COM
by FeelingBetter 1 / July 31, 2010 10:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
Mac Locks
by FeelingBetter 1 / September 27, 2010 4:53 AM PDT

Your link didn't work i think you meant www.MacLocks.com ... and yes you are righ they see to be great mac lock options.
i also went to www.compulocks.com site, not bad!

Collapse -
Really? Sounds like an ad POOR SERVICE DO NOT BUY
by BeljicaPeak / March 28, 2012 7:20 AM PDT

Cruise the 'net for a while and you'll find lots of alleged "articles" about how great they are, all saying the same thing. I think they are good at (1) flooding the 'net with such junk and (2) taking people's money. 3 months after returning the wrong product they sent still have not received a refund or response to numerous emails.

Collapse -
MacLocks.com Has Terrible Customer Service
by momothemonster / May 31, 2012 4:43 AM PDT

I ordered and paid for an iPad enclosure. One full business day later they write me to tell me they don't have the color I ordered in stock. I emailed back immediately and asked for any in-stock color, as I need it immediately. No reply. I called their support line and had to leave my name and number for a call back, I have received none. I called their sales line and was told that 'all of their representatives are busy', but I could leave my name and number to get a call back. Their enclosures are all still listed as 'in stock' on their website. It's starting to smell fishy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?