Storage forum

General discussion

most RELIABLE external hard drive? awash in options

I've been very lax in backing up my data,
and when I had a very worrisome hard drive blip the other day, it's time to back up everything to be safe!

I pulled out my years' old 500gb preparing to back up at least my ssd with the OS on it.. and found it broken Sad

So it's time to buy an external. I've got 2.5tb of movies, tv shows, pictures and games I'd like to back up too, so I'm looking for a 3 or 4 tb drive probably.

I'm not too worried about the loss of the old 500gb... but a backup drive is your safety net when your main hardware has failed. Above all I want it to be reliable, to last for years.

It'll be lightly used-- mostly just data written once and left there.
I don't care about speed; if it takes 10 hours or 30 to backup, I can just leave it running that one time.
I don't care about efficiency; I doubt it'll change my electric bill much and it'll stay unplugged
I don't care about looks
I don't care about footprint either, and it doesn't have to be portable.

But browsing the internet, there are so many options, western digital, seagate has 3 different models, hitachi, 'g-tech,' etc etc. I really don't know what to make of it. Every single model rates at around 4 stars: 80% give 5 'cause it worked, the other 20% had tragic failures and data loss and gave it 1 star. All anecdotal evidence and I can't assess reliability on that basis!

So I need some guidance! Happy
Hech, if you tell me that the best thing to do is get an enclosure and 6 500gb drives instead of 1 3tb, I'll do so (as long as it isn't over $200... Sad )

Also, am I crazy, or is everyone on ebay paying more for used drives than the new ones of the same models can be found for? lol

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: most RELIABLE external hard drive? awash in options
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: most RELIABLE external hard drive? awash in options
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
None really.

In reply to: most RELIABLE external hard drive? awash in options

Collapse -
afraid you're right

In reply to: None really.

I was afraid you'd give an answer like this: the fact that every single drive I looked at had similar reviews (works works works failed works), no matter brand or size, suggests they're all a gamble.

Went with a G-tech drive that seemed to be a decent price used on ebay. Fingers crossed. Why is gtech such an expensive drive at retail though? Like every other brand, they, too, have their equal share of negative reviews for failed drives.

Collapse -
Nice choice but does not get us there.

In reply to: afraid you're right

Even if the drive was 100% reliable we have an OS, backup and other issues that can cause an wipe out.

At least you can save a few GBs in the cloud of what you can't lose.
Bob

Collapse -
One way or another

In reply to: most RELIABLE external hard drive? awash in options

Since, you already getting into 2.5Tb of data storage you can see this is a serious amount to back-up. If you tend to remain with -1- drive to do this then you're putting all eggs in one basket. As always advised, back-up are really abpout 3-sets of such, thus you need at least 2 drives and if possible safe storage of it(physical safekeeping). There are 3Tb and even 4Tb drives out there to consider, unfortunately they all can be less than capable after some time. Since it matters over time, its best to get quality and generally speaking that means "server capable" and/or business type drives. You need to step away from typical consumer(home PC) level and think what server HDs are out there. here, I suggest NAS type storage which can have typical HDs but can also at your expense use better HDs. Once you review pricing for server type drives, there's a reason why they're more expensive. You needn't got this route and just settle for ext. HDs again or the use of "HD dock" for ease of use, just drop-in and use your old HD or any newe HDs as well. It seems your flexible in what to get, google "All in One HDD Docking" as i found it helpful in recovering customer data and/or re-use of customer drives just to show them it works and return it.

tada ------Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.