I've been very lax in backing up my data,
and when I had a very worrisome hard drive blip the other day, it's time to back up everything to be safe!
I pulled out my years' old 500gb preparing to back up at least my ssd with the OS on it.. and found it broken
So it's time to buy an external. I've got 2.5tb of movies, tv shows, pictures and games I'd like to back up too, so I'm looking for a 3 or 4 tb drive probably.
I'm not too worried about the loss of the old 500gb... but a backup drive is your safety net when your main hardware has failed. Above all I want it to be reliable, to last for years.
It'll be lightly used-- mostly just data written once and left there.
I don't care about speed; if it takes 10 hours or 30 to backup, I can just leave it running that one time.
I don't care about efficiency; I doubt it'll change my electric bill much and it'll stay unplugged
I don't care about looks
I don't care about footprint either, and it doesn't have to be portable.
But browsing the internet, there are so many options, western digital, seagate has 3 different models, hitachi, 'g-tech,' etc etc. I really don't know what to make of it. Every single model rates at around 4 stars: 80% give 5 'cause it worked, the other 20% had tragic failures and data loss and gave it 1 star. All anecdotal evidence and I can't assess reliability on that basis!
So I need some guidance!
Hech, if you tell me that the best thing to do is get an enclosure and 6 500gb drives instead of 1 3tb, I'll do so (as long as it isn't over $200... )
Also, am I crazy, or is everyone on ebay paying more for used drives than the new ones of the same models can be found for? lol