Assuming you have Windows 10:
1. Set Windows update to never update drivers. You can google how. It's different for Home and Pro. It's quite unlucky it isn't the default setting, but it isn't.
2. Undo this last update from Settings
3. If no luck, install the latest driver from the HP site (never install drivers via Device manager)
4. If still no luck, go back to the latest system restore point before this update.
5. If still no luck, go back to your latest image backup.
6. If still no luck, go back to factory conditions.
7. If still no luck, it's a hardware issue.
The most recent windows update (Oct 2017) finished on my HP Envy. Prior to the update I had two monitors attached to my laptop and now only one of them is being detected. I have it connected via an J5 create. I tried removing and reinstalling the J5 Create driver which did not work. I tried doing a "roll back" on the display driver and the video driver but the roll back button was dithered.
Does anyone have any suggestions?