General discussion

Most Powerful laptop at the market?

Hi, I wonder if anybody can tell me what is the most powerful laptop on the market at the moment.

Thanks
Paul Weinstock

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Most Powerful laptop at the market?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Most Powerful laptop at the market?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
It won't be a name brand.
- Collapse -
try the HP Dv7t

I recommend the Hewlett Packard HP Dv7t with the 2.8 Ghz Dual Core CPU and kicking it up to the maximal 8Gb DDR2 RAM. If you add the 320 Gb 7200 RPM hard drive you might be even more happy. The most they can accommodate is a 512 MB Graphics card but I have heard only one individual complain that was limiting for only one particular game. I would also choose the 64 bit version since it seems to handle toe 8 Gb of RAM much more easily.

Jesse Jr.
Not an HP Rep...but sure sell others on buying them...they are good!

- Collapse -
A divergent opinion

The HP dv7t is a very powerful machine, but it has some quirks/issues that prospective buyers should keep in mind!

I bought a new HP dv7t last month and only used it for four days before returning it to HP for a refund. Heat and fan noise were the primary issues. Areas of the keyboard and wrist rest could become uncomfortably hot to the touch, despite the fan running constantly at high speed. I've never heard a louder, more distracting laptop fan than this one!

The beautiful design of the machine is great to observe, but the designers definitely chose form over function in this case. The chrome-like surfaces instantly gather smudges and fingerprints- even the touchpad. After a few hours of use, it looks like a toddler with a Fudgesicle has been using it! =) The included polishing cloth gets plenty of use!

As for other powerful machines, my vote goes to ASUS! The M50 and G50 lines are exceptional performers and, for the price, are impossible to beat! The DELL Precision M4400/M6400 are also pretty amazing!

- Collapse -
Alienware

Don't know jack about Alienware laptops other than if they are not the best on the market (for performance, not bang for the buck) they are dang close.

Plan on 4K plus for it.

CNET Forums