HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

More than one Matter at Once!

by darkdestiny7 / May 6, 2007 6:26 PM PDT

NOTE: This may appear to be a very looong thread, but I hope you people are patient enough to read this.

This is a different matter from my other threads (only to a certain extent), so please no spamming here.

I refer to Post Number 6 of my previous thread.
Link: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=246451&messageID=2479787

Below are my current statistics for my laptop.

Machine: Lenovo T60
RAM: 502 MB
How old the Laptop is: 1 year

I used to use Norton Internet Security 2006 and Trend Micro Internet Security 2007 on my laptop. However, I've been having slowdown problems and more recently, spyware and virus infection. I wanted to upgrade my RAM by 1GB, but at the moment was unable to due to the price ($300+ through retail stores and $500+ through ordering). I'm not quite sure if I should just install 512MB or 1GB to my current RAM speed (look above).

This doesn't sound like a good place to ask about RAM problems, but if there's anyone who knowshow to solve the speed problem, you can just say it here.

Now to the main subject.

Matter 1:

I'm currently looking at several good guides on spyware removal and freeware downloads at MajorGeeks.com and Florina Beach Forums (Tools shed). I don't really quite get the former, but I find the latter very useful in my search for freeware stuff (don't wish to buy too many paid security software and find that it's useless).

Should anyone know there are good guides on computer maintenance and spyware/malware/virus removal, hope you can post here so I can read them.

Also, refering to MajorGeeks' Freeware Downloads, I wonder if it's a good advise to follow, in terms of all the security and system maintenance tools.

Matter 2:

Having uninstalled my dear Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 weeks ago, I'm STILL in search of good freewares to maintain my security and performance of my laptop (Yep, STILL). I've got a couple of good ones from threads from this site, but I've yet to install it into my laptop (just reformatted again as one of my scanning programs [Yahoo! Anti-Spy] has appeared to be configured by a spyware to avoid detection).

Currently my own configuration for both maintenance (not suitable for this section here. I'll talk about it elsewhere) and security programs are these:

Ad-Aware SE Personal
Mainly for spyware (including suspicious tracking cookies)
(How I wish I can buy it to block adware too Sad )

Spybot Search & Destroy
This I installed with TeaTimer, to detect any registry changes (including those changed by Microsoft Update and installation of programs)

Spyware Blaster
A useful tool to block many dangerous sites. But does it STOP adware too? No idea.

Avast! Home Edition
Mainly for scanning of viruses. Scanning (with all system at maximum), had taken about the same time as Trend Micro IS2007 (about 1 1/2 hours). But not bad for scanning viruses at hard-to-find places

AVG Anti-Rootkit
I don't really know what is a root-kit, but I installed this to scan them anyway.

AVG-Antispyware Free
Also another one of those spyware scanners

Comodo Firewall Pro
Perhaps one of the best firewalls I'd seen, but I wonder what are its glitches.

Ad-Blocker Plus (not really sure of its name)
Firefox add-on. It's not a bad ad-blocking program. But is there a better one?

Yahoo! Anti-Spy
It's also another spyware removal, attached to IE and Firefox.

McAfee SiteAdvisor
A pretty good add-on for Firefox and IE. Despite its degree of accuracy, I decided to follow this as I don't wish to get into sites with spyware or hackers waiting inside.

I guess that's about all. Perhaps anyone can recommend a better program to replace or, at least, able to work with any of the above security tools.

P.S.

The reason why I have been talking about all my laptop problems is because I don't have the time to read other people's posts about the same problem. I'm busy with homework and revision here, and I've spent about enough time on these kind of problems.

Speed/performance and portability is essential as I don't want a slow working laptop to work with, and having to look and wait for available computers in school with a lot of people also wanting computers there. As I said, I intended to upgrade my RAM, but a few hundred sounds too expensive while $100+ ones may not actually work at all!

So, thank you all for your help, for my previous posts and in advance for future replies on my threads.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: More than one Matter at Once!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: More than one Matter at Once!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
darkdestiny7
by tomron / May 6, 2007 6:35 PM PDT

You have Comodo Firewall Pro,doesn't XP have a firewall?Not advisable to have more then one firewall.

Click HERE for a list of freebies.

Tom

Collapse -
Yes, but...
by darkdestiny7 / May 6, 2007 6:37 PM PDT
In reply to: darkdestiny7

XP's firewall is not efficient.

Collapse -
OK
by tomron / May 6, 2007 6:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes, but...

Thats fine,I just wanted to bring it to your attention in case you were not aware of it.

You could add BELARCwhich shows missing updates as well as your system specs.

Tom

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.