Speakeasy forum

General discussion

More scientific data for the Bushies to ignore...

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 31, 2004 5:58 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: More scientific data for the Bushies to ignore...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: More scientific data for the Bushies to ignore...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: More scientific data for the Bushies to ignore...
by Steven Haninger / October 31, 2004 6:12 AM PST
"For the past 30 years, there's been a dramatic increase in temperature and a decrease in the thickness of ice,"

Has anyone else been at the helm during this period? If the ship hits the reef does the last to steer get all the blame?
Collapse -
No, it's Bush's fault. Everything is Bush's fault.
by EdH / October 31, 2004 6:16 AM PST

That report is not due to be released until Nov 9 by the way.

Collapse -
Yep. That's the way human nature works.
by W2X3XP / October 31, 2004 6:39 AM PST

If it were a perfect world everybody would get their rightful share of blame and credit. Happy

Everyone to be born will inherit the earth such as it is. Will they blame us for the mess it's in or will they praise us for what we preserved and maintained?

Lot of people care what we leave out grandchildren, unfortunately too many don't. Sad

Collapse -
Re: 30 years -- that's not the point, Steve.

First of all, most of the Bushies continue to insist that global warming is a myth propagated by liberal scientists. Secondly, while the Kyoto treaty has some problems, instead of trying to iron them out, he's simply withdrawn from the process. And then there's his wonderfu statement that global warming may not be too bad, and we should "learn to live with it." The NOAA, politicized under Bush, denies that the onslaught of hurricaes on FL is related to global warming, but that's always been a key prediciton of the computer models. You want to live with that all the time? Based on the cartoons showing FL up in the Dakotas, I doubt Floridians do!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Good points but no logical arguement I can see
by Steven Haninger / October 31, 2004 7:07 AM PST
most of the Bushies continue to insist that global warming is a myth

Since you provide no definition of "Bushie" and I have never seen a list of their names, I am unable to compute that >50% have expressed what you have said they believe. As such it's difficult to find credence with what might be a valid point on your part. Arguing issues this way, and I include both sides, only tend to perpetuate inaction IMHO. Regards.
Collapse -
Oh, and BTW
by Steven Haninger / October 31, 2004 7:11 AM PST

The "other side" I mentioned, I must admit, could well be exampled by my own post to your original.

Collapse -
30 yrs isn't the point, it's that Gramps Holocene was right
by Catgic / October 31, 2004 8:58 AM PST
?global warming may not be too bad, and we should ?learn to live with it.? The NOAA, politicized under Bush, denies that the onslaught of hurricanes on FL is related to global warming, but that?s always been a key prediction of the computer models. You want to live with that all the time? Based on the cartoons showing FL up in the Dakotas, I doubt Floridians do! - DK SE 10/31/2004

?Yak hide parchment?recently recovered at an archaeological burial mound dig site ?was carbon dated to ~11,000 years ago. Clan markings on the document were traced to an early male ancestor?great, great...great grandfather Holocene, from the Wooly Mammoth Clan?According to the recovered parchment?Gramps Holocene contended that the Clan?s common practice of cooking Wooly Mammoth meat over open camp fires was causing carboniferous like ?green cavern? gases.

The offending source producing the warming gases was the fat from the roasting Wooly Mammoth carcasses dripping into the hot campfire embers?these ?green cavern? gases would eventually bring about the Wooly Mammoth?s extinction. Wall painting evidence found inside nearby caverns, indicate that Gramp?s thesis was widely pooh-poohed by the majority of the clan members who claimed he was a ?Wooly Mammoth tusk hugging Alarmist.?

Of course, time and history have proven that dear old Gramps Holocene was right, because the Wooly Mammoths are indeed extinct. Gramp?s learned to live with it, but it is we?who have suffered. We have not tasted Wooly Mammoth meat for ~11,000 years. - Jpol SE 9/6/2004

I knew that great, great...great Gramps Holocene wasn?t the Wooly Mammoth tusk hugging Alarmist they claimed he was. Recently, an attempt at a rough translation of the symbols found in a footnote on the obverse of the Yak hide parchment was made. The current partial transliteration looks like this:

Mo? Bett@ U **** Floord@ Be@ch $hacK On M@wkeT @$@P

Archaeological experts continue their studies in an attempt to complete the translation and decipher its message. I?m sure anxious to find out what it means.

Oh by the way, my bride and I will be spending all of Thanksgiving week in the Dakotas on a working vacation looking for a prime building site set up high and dry, with some nice surrounding acreage.

If any of you SE Netizens are looking for some prime Oceanside Florida beach property to buy, I know of some that?s coming available. Wink
Collapse -
Re: 30 yrs isn't the point, it's that Gramps Holocene was ri
by Cindi Haynes / October 31, 2004 9:06 AM PST

Hi jpol,

You're in luck! When Florida ends up in the Dakotas from global warming, you'll see all your neighbors again! Wink

Have a fun and productive vacation!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
help = it's effing illegible
by netsky / October 31, 2004 8:27 PM PST

I recognized that every word of the post above is a oopy and paste from old post or other sources.

I have a problem: my eyesight is not good and it's getting worse.

these long, italicized quotes are nearly illegible to me. I have to put on magnifiers and get close to the screen in order to read th' full dissappointing story.

-can i make this SE page display "larger" text?????

Will try now but I seem to recall NO, it's tied to overal resolution??

will look in "options" now. If you guys have any thought or cure for the "Ital-ian syndrome", put it into plain words plain text or all caps for me, pls

Collapse -
answered my own whine
by netsky / October 31, 2004 8:32 PM PST

Found answer in "accessibility" button, bottome of of first page of "internet options"

"ingnore web font sizes"

Now jp is fully bold and black just the way I can read without glasses. good.

No BAD

(just kidding, lol)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Gramps Holocene Thxs U. That IE function unknown 2 him
by Catgic / October 31, 2004 9:35 PM PST
In reply to: answered my own whine
Collapse -
Easier function
by TONI H / November 1, 2004 12:21 AM PST

Press the CTRL key down and move the wheel on your mouse up or down a notch or two to get the effect you want. It will stay that way for ALL sites you visit now. If it isn't what you want as you move from site to site, you can change it on the fly for your travels at each site.

TONI

Collapse -
What the myth is --
by Dragon / October 31, 2004 10:29 AM PST

- is that car fumes and hair spray is causing it. Kyoto is a meaningless gesture, because this thing (the weather) is happening anyway, just as it has for millenia, with or without Man.

Collapse -
Warming is "news"???
by Dragon / October 31, 2004 8:15 AM PST

What do you mean, 'safely after the election'?

Collapse -
Same drivel...
by C1ay / October 31, 2004 9:35 AM PST

You claim to be a scientist but fail to acknowlege the fact that solar cycles contribute to this. An alleged scientist that considers only the cause and effect that fits their hypothesis is not a scientist at all.

Collapse -
More than a little UNTRUTHFUL..
by Edward ODaniel / October 31, 2004 11:45 PM PST

Dave and you, as a self proclaimed scientist, should be more than a little ashamed.

NOTHING was "leaked" as you would know if you even bothered checking things onec in a while.

Here is the link to the NYT article and if you actually READ IT you will see where the Times got the article and how and why. http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/30/science/earth/30arctic.html

Although it is definitely spun with their faux science bias it is pretty clear that the full report will be released as scheduled after this summary report was released to the media.

Interesting that you, as a scientist, avoid acknowledging that everyone agrees that there is some global warming going on but that anyone who points to cyclic changes recorded over millenia point to the fact that this is a normal process that is sometimes faster and sometimes slower and that NO ONE has tied it to any single set of data or cause.

Junk science and "sky is falling" appear to be what you have limited yourself to and that is sad. Real sad.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!