General discussion

more ram in imac G5 Powermac

I've seen some posts elsewhere that say you can put 2-2gig sticks of ram in a G5 imac, 2 ghz.
Apple says no 2 max but others say you can does anybody know the real skinny?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: more ram in imac G5 Powermac
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: more ram in imac G5 Powermac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Let's start with Crucial.com

What do they say?

There is "the unsupported zone" where someone finds their machine took the pair but you discover that "the supported zone" is just 2GB. No outlet will support you outside of the zone.
Bob

- Collapse -
unsupported

I'm sorry but could you expand on that for me? I'm not familiar with the definition of these terms. Would you explain? Can I try it? Will it cause damage?Can I find the sticks. How do I know which sticks to purchase?
Thanks a lot.
imac G5 white 20" 2 GHz PowerPC G5
2 GB DDR SDRAM OS version 10.5.8
Greg

- Collapse -
What Bob is saying is,

that while it may be possible to put 2 2GB memory modules into you machine, your machine will almost certainly only be able to us 2GB of it.

Take a look at Crucial.com or RAMJet.com, both these sites have RAM configuration wizards that will tell you exactly how much RAM your machine will be able to use.

P

- Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks- will doo!

CNET Forums

Forum Info