Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

More problems with SiteAdvisor....

by MartyLK / February 23, 2006 8:16 PM PST

The extension stops functioning. Normally when I browse to a site it will display one of 2 different colors; green or amber...haven't been to a site where it displays red, yet. Every so often it stops doing this, stops responding by staying gray or neutral.

I can get it to begin responding again by going to the settings menu and then clicking out of that but that's the only way.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: More problems with SiteAdvisor....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: More problems with SiteAdvisor....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Marty, Grey just means the site is not yet rated.
by John.Wilkinson / February 24, 2006 12:53 AM PST
Collapse -
Very true but this happens...
by MartyLK / February 24, 2006 7:31 AM PST

at sites that have displayed a specific color. Example: cNet Forums display green and cNet Downloads displays amber. When SA stops responding it shows gray for all sites even the two above.

Collapse -
Could it be server problems?
by lateball / February 26, 2006 12:09 AM PST

From what I have inspected, SA works by sending information about the website you are viewing now to the SA website/server and acquire the safety information from there. I have tried this by changing between tabs quickly and sometimes the SA indicator couldn't follow up and it remained grey or stayed in the previous color state of the previous tab. Also, when I had a slow connection, sometimes the SA indicator isn't responding and giving any feedback.

Could it be related to a SA server problem? Maybe the bandwidth usage is too high so it can't reply to many queries from multiple users quickly.

Collapse -
I believe the problem was with my PC...
by MartyLK / February 26, 2006 8:38 PM PST

the way the DUN was functioning....basically incorrectly.

SA seem to be very efficient at bandwidth usage. Even with DUN it turns whatever color the particular site will be even before the site is maybe 25% loaded. It doesn't slow down the progress either if you can imagine that. DUN is basically a snails-pace type of networking. As though it were trying to squeeze an ocean through an orifice the size of a pea compared to everything else. There is an incredibly small amount of bandwidth to work with and you'd think any amount of peripheral usage would slow it down but SA doesn't. Of course, Mozilla/Firefox is an efficient browser.

Collapse -
An update...
by MartyLK / February 25, 2006 8:54 PM PST

I think the problem with SA could have been a loading problem Mozilla/Firefox had due to a modem dial up problem. I had been having an issue at first PC startup after all the startup programs have settled in and I click on M/F. The automatic dial-up command is initialized where the homepage initializes and the modem dials. Well, the dial-up seemed to pause for about 10 to 15 seconds then I would hear the dial tone and dialing.

By this time M/F would display a "Try again" screen. I think clicking the "try again" button rather than X-ing out of M/F and reloading caused some kind of screw up.

So far I haven't seen SA malfunction and I haven't been having the dial-up problems. Don't know why "but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it". Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.