Laptops forum

General discussion

More power, for power hunger laptop

by fightinsurfgrl / January 30, 2009 3:45 PM PST

Basically I'm looking for a fair cheap way to use my laptop without having to have it plugged in all the time. Isn't that the point of a laptop? To be wireless? I'm currently running on a Dell Inspiron 1520 Laptop. It's almost a year old. When I'm surfing the net and it is unplugged from the power source I have basically an hour tops. Which I think is pretty pathetic. I've done some research on buying an external power source to boost the power while it is unplugged and the basically run $100-150, but the reviews are basically hit and miss from amazon to other sites. So I'm just wondering if anyone has had some really good good luck with an external battery that could boost the laptop power to last more than just an hour unplugged. If anyone has any suggestions I would be more than happy to hear them.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: More power, for power hunger laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: More power, for power hunger laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How long is long enough to surf the web?
by Steven Haninger / February 1, 2009 7:13 AM PST

You didn't mention the capacity of your current battery. Perhaps it's weak or worn out. Why not just buy two or more "extended size" batteries and an external charger? It does appear that this laptop runs on 11.1 volts which could allow you to make your own power source from, perhaps, UPS batteries but that would take some creativity and have some risks. As well, bigger power sources would make the laptop less portable.

Collapse -
Only an hour?
by Coryphaeus / February 1, 2009 9:16 PM PST

Even the most power hungry laptops last at least two hours. How old is the battery? They do start to loose power and must be replaced after a while. Especially if they are the older Ni-Cad.

Collapse -
battery
by fightinsurfgrl / February 3, 2009 2:59 AM PST
In reply to: Only an hour?

It's only a year old.

Collapse -
Battery life
by Phil Crase / February 2, 2009 10:36 PM PST

If you are not running your DVD/CDRW your battery should last over 2hrs, actually closer to 3, depending on screen size, brightness settings and processor. Intel processors are more battery forgiving than are AMD but an hour of battery, something is awry.

Collapse -
too many programs?
by fightinsurfgrl / February 3, 2009 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: Battery life

The battery is less than a year old and I do dim down the screen as much as possible, and I think that part of my problem is I'm running too many programs at the same time, messengers plus Firefox. I think the combination of the two drains it pretty fast but I did notice when I only had one messenger going that gave me about 2 hours roughly. It runs on an Intel processor. Maybe I just have too many programs going?

Collapse -
Too many programs?
by fightinsurfgrl / February 3, 2009 3:00 AM PST
In reply to: Battery life

I'm not running the DVD/CDRW and I dim the screen down as much as possible and the screen size is 15.4 inches. Any suggestions? I do think as I've said I'm trying to run too many programs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!