General discussion

more memory = better DVD playback ?

my computer runs fairly well yet when i play DVDs they are slightly choppy and the sound is not sychronized with the video (video behind sound by about a second)will raising ram to 512mb do the trick?

pentium III 650 Mhz
384 mb Ram
DVD r/rw
Nvidia Riva tnt2 model 64

If anyone has ideas would be very much appreciated

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: more memory = better DVD playback ?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: more memory = better DVD playback ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Doubtful

You should have more than enough RAM to play a DVD. A newer video card couldn't hurt, but I'd suspect something else.

What do you do in the way of virus and spyware protection/removal?

- Collapse -
Just sharing.

My laptop, an Acer ter600 is some P3-600, 256MB RAM and a lesser video card. It's running Windows 2000 and plays DVD find. But there is no Spyware, I didn't install Norton but AVG and it's one clean machine.

You didn't reveal much about your antivirus, spyware, OS and more.

Bob

- Collapse -
Crank back. . .

your hardware acceleration a notch at a time. Do you have the latest DirectX?

- Collapse -
A tool I fogot to mention. GEEXBOX.

This under 6.5 megabyte download from http://geexbox.org/en/index.html is for making a tiny bootCD that I use both for what it is (a DVD player) and to sniff out if a machine/dvd-drive can really play DVDs.

Just another tool in my kit.

Bob

- Collapse -
thanks fellas

Thanks for all the help, restored my faith in humanity, I use Vet as anti virus and i dont have any spyware at this stage, this morning i scaled back my DVD software from powerdvd 5 to powerdvd xp 4. DVDs are running considerebly smoother although still not 100% Ill still give some of your ideas a shot though and check for improvments.

CNET Forums

Forum Info