Laptops forum

Question

More laptops coming with 3:2 screens?

The Surface Pro 3 and the Chromebook Pixel both have 3:2 screens. That works out to close to 16:11, almost exactly in the middle between 16:10 and 4:3. That's great for those of us who like taller screens on small laptops.

Are more laptops on the way with 3:2 screens?

16:9 is great for desktop, but not great for spreadsheets on small laptops at business meetings. I often meet clients at coffeehouses, and if I take anything bigger than 12", it's likely to have to stay on my lap rather than on the table. I much prefer having it on the table.

For meetings like that, the only laptop dimension that matters is width. Depth and thickness are all but irrelevant. If a person brings a 14" or bigger, they often have to keep it on their lap. Those who bring 12" laptops more often have space to have them on the little table.

But spreadsheets on a 16:9 screen on a 12" laptop are a form of torture. There just isn't enough vertical space. They remind me of my very first laptop, a 386SX in the mid 1990s that was about 3" thick at the rear, and had a small, short screen. I don't miss it.

I have a 12" Lenovo X201, with a 2.66GHz i7. As far as I know it's the fastest 16:10 12" laptop ever made. I had planned to used it as many years as I could hold out, not wanting to downgrade to a newer 16:9. But these two 3:2 models give me hope that I won't have to try to use this X201 for another decade.

So -- are more 3:2 laptops on the way, or are the Surface Pro 3 and Chromebook Pixel just anomalies?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: More laptops coming with 3:2 screens?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: More laptops coming with 3:2 screens?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
There are prior web articles on this. Simply no.

In reply to: More laptops coming with 3:2 screens?

If you must have this, get them while you can. This is not set by the laptop maker but again, by manufacturing of the LCD panels. The machines that make them are many millions so I'd be repeating why things are the way they are.

If you find your 4x3, you need to pull the trigger.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Go retro with a ThinkPad T61

Get thee a ThinkPad T61 14.1" 4:3 on eBay and put an SSD and 2.5 or 2.6GHz Core2Duo on it. Also apply Middleton's Bios, widely available on the Internet, which lets your SSD use Sata-2 transfer speeds (the chipset was Sata-2 capable but Lenovo disabled the feature in BIOS). You can also put in 8GB of RAM. You can find new-condition T61's for $50-100.00. Of course the faster CPU, RAM and SSD will cost you a couple hundred or so more, but you'll have a machine that can do anything a modern business laptop can do plus the nifty ergonomics of a 14.1" SXGA+ 4:3 screen, classic ThinkPad keyboard, and so on. It'll also run anything up to and including Windows 10.

Collapse -
Answer
Not seeing more 3:2 coming

not actually seeing more 3:2 coming. it is understood on the better application of spreadsheets., but it seems people I know of are using multiple larger displays to the usage, and multi-display also bring the flexibility on other scenarios.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.