Speakeasy forum

General discussion

More gasoline on the 'US news is biased' fire:

by drpruner / April 13, 2009 9:58 PM PDT
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/programmes/world_news_america/7990988.stm

<b>Washington diary: Crying on cable</b>
"When John F Kennedy's life was brutally cut short by an assassin's bullet, Walter Cronkite told America the news.
He took off his black-rimmed glasses and cleared his throat as if to dislodge a piece of unwarranted emotion, paused for a few seconds and then continued with the business of delivering the terrible information.
The real, if restrained, grief of that fleeting moment was - and still is - eerily powerful.
When Barack Obama announced another tranche of his bailout package for ailing banks, Glenn Beck on Fox News burst into floods of tears, as if his own mother had just passed away. His torrent for the Tarp as the Troubled Assets Relief Programme is known left me sadly cold ..."

I don't have cable, but his points are well taken IMO. Notice that he has some good things to say about [in]famous Fox News.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: More gasoline on the 'US news is biased' fire:
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: More gasoline on the 'US news is biased' fire:
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: Glenn Beck
by JP Bill / April 13, 2009 10:03 PM PDT

He's going on a Comedy Tour soon.

His tears reminded me of Jimmy Swaggart.

Collapse -
Glenn Beck is a commentator, not a newscaster...
by EdHannigan / April 13, 2009 10:08 PM PDT

You (and the BBC) have to make that distinction.

If anything Cronkite went outside the bounds of journalism by letting his emotions show.

Collapse -
Perhaps FOX News should change its name
by JP Bill / April 13, 2009 10:22 PM PDT

To FOX Commentators.

Collapse -
A talking head reads news.
by drpruner / April 13, 2009 10:53 PM PDT

To most of us, that's The News. I rarely watch TV news because of the problems mentioned- unless the readers are hotties. Happy

My wife and I have an ongoing "discussion" about the females, since it's obvious that most are chosen for eye candy. By coincidence, the local NBC girl this morning is wearing the lowest-cut V-neck we've seen on her- ratings must be down. Moreover, we both noticed she was given a makeup treatment I recently read about that enhances cleavage.
OTOH, Katty Kay of the BBC in America is very professional, fully dressed, and not especially pretty by US TV standards; I'll watch her and her [male] partner all day, but I get tired of Miss Cleavage in a few minutes.
The ABC outlet has two PM cuties who giggle. Sad But its weekend women are quite good individually and as a team; one is actually plain, by showbiz standards. We watch them some Saturday mornings to get a quick update, but won't bother with the other channels at the same time.
Ann Curry and Tom Brokaw prove one can be attractive <u>and</u> skilled, BTW.

Read the article: It's an ongoing commentary on US ways by a Brit, and stands or falls on that premise. He does mention that Olbermann and Beck come from non-journalist areas.

Told y'all I was putting gasoline on a fire. Happy

Collapse -
If you ever saw his show....
by EdHannigan / April 13, 2009 11:05 PM PDT

you would know that it is crystal clear that he is editorializing, NOT reporting the news. I did read the article and I stand by my comment.

Maybe CNN should change its name to Cable Commentary Network. Maybe newspapers should call themselves commentary papers. Moat "news" outlets also contain some editorial commemntary.

Collapse -
Up until recently real reporters read the news
by Ziks511 / April 14, 2009 10:23 AM PDT

Uncle Walter, Huntley and Brinkley, John Chancellor, Peter Jennings, Dan Rather before he lost his brains, even the NBC guy who went to work for Fixed News was a reporter.

John Roberts on CNN, and who worked for CBS, started as a Top 40 Radio DJ as J.D.Roberts, then moved to be a Vee Jay on Much Music, Canada's first music video channel. But you got to admit he looks good and reads really well, but he doesn't have a reporter's bone in his body.

Jim Lehrer certainly is a good reporter, and I expect Lou Dobbs is too. but Glenn Beck Sean Hannity and virtually all the wingneuts at Faked News have no background in anything but political Howard Stern-ism.

Collapse -
(NT) Wonderful! Thanks for the link.
by drpruner / April 13, 2009 10:37 PM PDT
In reply to: What's the diff?
Collapse -
(NT) Applause! Bravo! !!!
by Angeline Booher / April 14, 2009 3:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
Just another example...
by Paul C / April 15, 2009 3:22 PM PDT

...of the smarmy, arrogant supposed moral superiority of the Europeans. Perhaps we should have left them to stew in their own juices in 1917; perhaps we'd be better off. I know we'd be better off if we would just end the fiction known as NATO - which long ago outlived its usefulness - and let Europe become what it's destined to become if present trends continue; the Islamic Republic of Europe.

This time, of course, they'll be on their own. I wonder how they'll like that?

Collapse -
How dare they!!!!!
by JP Bill / April 15, 2009 8:43 PM PDT

I'll tell them who is superior, or is it "whom" is superior?

Seriously, is what they said true?

Collapse -
I loved this assessment.
by Ziks511 / April 14, 2009 10:46 AM PDT

"By comparison to some of his colleagues on the news channels, The Daily Show's Jon Stewart can have as much gravitas as Vatican Radio."

Gravitas is a Latin word meaning all of and more than just honesty, substance, reliability and believability. It was the goal of every Roman with political aspirations. And it is a sad commentary on "real" news organizations that Stewart does have more gravitas than they.

Rob

Collapse -
(NT) I love Jon Stewart - he tends to cut right through the BS
by Diana Forum moderator / April 15, 2009 5:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
It takes a while to figure out Glenn Beck
by Steven Haninger / April 15, 2009 6:39 AM PDT

He's another entertainer with his own viewpoints. He has his more serious and more satirical moments which aren't always easy to separate. He's a (recent convert) Mormon....or says he is but has moments of "un-mormonlike" irreverence. I've not listened to him in a bit. He does make some very good points at times but at other times is difficult to listen to. I do remember him doing a serious piece on the real threat of Muslim terrorism. It was quite riveting and worth a watch and listen to. But, and again, he's an entertainer....to some anyway...but can be a jerk. That's part of his act as well. Such is my take on the guy. Happy

Collapse -
Now here's a real case of bias...
by EdHannigan / April 16, 2009 6:00 AM PDT
http://spectator.org/blog/2009/04/16/flashback-in-2006-cnns-roesgen
Rarely is there as transparent an example of liberal media bias as the tantrum thrown by CNN's Susan Roesgen yesterday while "reporting" on a tea party, but the full extent of her bias only comes into light when you look back at her attitude toward anti-Bush protesters.

In video posted by Paul Chesser from yesterday's CNN broadcast, Roesgen harassed a man who had a sign in which Obama was portrayed as a fascist with a Hitler mustache. "Why be so hard on the President of the United States though with such an offensive message?" an indignant Roesgen hollered.

Yet back in 2006, when she was covering protests against the Bush administration's response to Katrina, she jokingly referred to this photo of a man wearing a mask with devil horns and a Hitler mustache as a Bush "look-alike." (Video available at NewsBusters).

Susan Roesgen is an anchor/reporter, NOT a commentator.
Collapse -
Another example of bias
by JP Bill / April 16, 2009 6:23 AM PDT

I saw the "commentators" on FNC commenting this morning on the "reporting" of CNN.

you look back at her attitude toward anti-Bush protesters

And now the people that complained about Bush Bashers are complaining that they can't Bash Obama.

You can't bash my guy, but I can bash yours.

But I'm not bias...you are....but I'm not.

Collapse -
Maybe you've uncovered the root cause
by Steven Haninger / April 16, 2009 6:32 AM PDT

They're all a bunch of babies...both sides. How do we fix that? Wink

Collapse -
I don't think there's any "fixing" it...
by EdHannigan / April 16, 2009 6:42 AM PDT

It's a matter of being aware of what's going on.

And I don't buy the notion that both sides are equally guilty. Life rarely works that way.

Collapse -
And I don't buy the notion that both sides are equally guilt
by JP Bill / April 16, 2009 6:46 AM PDT

The OTHER side is ALWAYS more guilty.

Collapse -
No fixing it??
by Steven Haninger / April 16, 2009 7:24 AM PDT

How about a news boycott? No TV news, Internet, radio, etc. for a week. If it worked, how would the media cover the event? a live remote? with no one watching but the studio crew? Can't help but love the thought of that happening. Happy

Collapse -
Why?
by EdHannigan / April 16, 2009 7:33 AM PDT
In reply to: No fixing it??

What would the point be?

Bias doesn't bother me as long as I can recognize it for what it is. It bothers me more when others can't. But I have a feeling it's a part of human nature and there's no fixing that.

Or maybe it's the result of our decline as a culture. People DO seem to be getting stupider in some things.

Collapse -
Why?? I'd like to see news without such obvious bias
by Steven Haninger / April 16, 2009 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Why?

I'd like to turn to any station and get the same story without the subtle editorial comments. I don't care to have anyone try to wrench me one way or the other. When I see obvious bias in a story, I tend to be skeptical of the piece altogether. It's not worth referencing in conversation as being fully truthful. That's why. It's never been perfect but it's surely been much better. It's becoming more difficult every day to know what stories to believe and which are full of fictitious second guessing.

Collapse -
I'd like to be able to flap my arms and fly....
by EdHannigan / April 16, 2009 7:52 AM PDT

But that ain't gonna happen either.

Maybe it's cynical, but I think its always been this way and will probably always be this way. People have their biases and they will always want to convince others that theirs is the right way.

I think the best we can hope for is to be sharp enough to detect the lies and slant. I don't see much chance of that either, but good luck.

I just look at many sources and try to employ common sense.

Collapse -
Anyway, obvious bias is not the problem....
by EdHannigan / April 16, 2009 7:55 AM PDT

It's the subtle, sneaky bias that gets you. Maybe if the schools taught more logical and critical thinking. But I don't see that happening either.

Collapse -
Subtle and sneaky...an example
by Steven Haninger / April 16, 2009 8:15 AM PDT

A while back there was a story about a surprise police locker inspection in a high school. I watched the report on two stations. The story, itself, was more about the reaction of parents. One station opened with a statement that 'many parents were outraged'. The other said that, while a few were upset, the majority of parents supported police action and were pleased that it locker shakedown took place. The one station interviewed only a few wild eyed screaming parents while the other station interviews were with calm and happy parents. If I was trying to get a sense for the overall posture here and only heard from the irate, I would have felt the community was in danger. But, after hearing from the other side, I knew all was essentially well. While neither station reported out and out lies, one was clearly closer to re-creating an image more true to what took place.

Collapse -
So you figured out which station had better reporting...
by EdHannigan / April 16, 2009 8:37 AM PDT

Many would not have been able to.

Collapse -
He-he-he!
by drpruner / April 16, 2009 3:16 PM PDT

I done good, hey, Mods? Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!