1. A Desktop Theme is a predefined set of icons, fonts, colors, sounds, and other window elements that gives a desktop a unified and distinctive look. Themes can be switched, deleted, created -- by changing a theme and then saving it with a new name, or simply use the traditional "Windows Classic" look.
2. "Skins" can be had from here.
3. When applying a Classic theme, a small arrow ( > ) instead of a large arrow ( > ) may be displayed on the More Programs button of the Start menu if any elements which are defined by a Microsoft visual style file are either missing or incorrect. However, it can be observed that under the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties, the Start Menu screen can display a bitmap of the large arrow button regardless of the current theme since the bitmap is not properly updated in some instances and may not accurately reflect a theme change.
4. When browsing for themes in the Display Properties dialog box, the defaults are, [Q307147]:
a. browsing is the Program Files folder
b. saving is the My Documents folder
5. Fixing the dreaded "Parser Message: Value creation failed " at line 472" error. This is a problem with the file shellstyle.dll which is included in most visual styles, "Tips & Tricks."
6. Supplemental reading:
a. "Internet Explorer Menu Items Do Not Use the Desktop Theme on a 64-Bit Windows XP-Based Computer (Q283181)."
b. "Plus! 98 Themes Are Replaced When You Upgrade to Windows XP (Q291700)."
c. "HOW TO: Configure Desktop Themes in Windows XP (307855)."
Note: Themes along with a lot of other components you'll learn to turn off so the computer runs a little faster and less system resources are used.
d. "HOW TO: Distribute a Custom Desktop Theme to Users (Q310514)."
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help?
Firstly, I have windows xp (upgraded from ME), however, the theme keeps changing to classic. Every 10mins - 2hrs (even if the theme is already classic) the please wait sign comes up, the computer halts and it loads up the windows classic theme. I do not know what it causing this (I have 3 adware/spyware/trojan detectors and they do not find anything. This is really annoying, especially when I am playing a game.
Secondly, some of the keyboard keys do not work properly, for example the @ and the " have swapped round, the numpad numbers dont work and various other keys have swapped (however, not the letters). It used to work but not any more.
I would appreciate any help possible.
Thanks Very Much