General discussion

Monkeys . . .

We start with a cage containing five monkeys. Inside the cage, we hang a banana on a string and place a set of stairs under it. Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana.

As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all the other monkeys with cold water. After a while another monkey makes the attempt with same result, all the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon when another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.

Now, put the cold water away. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs.

To his shock, all of the other monkeys beat the snot out of him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one.

The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm. Likewise, replace a third original monkey with a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth. Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs he is attacked.

Most of the monkeys that are beating him up have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs OR even why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.

Finally, after replacing all of the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys have ever been sprayed with cold water. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs to try for the banana.

Why not?

Because as far as they know, that is the way it has always been done around here.

And that, my fellow monkeys, is how Congress operates - And precisely why we need to REPLACE all the original monkeys this November. Not some of the Monkeys, all of the Monkeys. It makes no difference if the new monkey is Republican, Democrat, Libertarian or whatever. The new monkey must get the vote, for only by eliminating all of the old monkeys will the behaviors change.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Monkeys . . .
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Monkeys . . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I wonder what would happen

if they'd tossed a gorilla in?

- Collapse -
Actually, last time I heard it,

it was ten gorillas to begin the story.

And it was referring to why things at a company are done a certain way, regardless of the logic, or illogic.

The premise and result is the same, even if different targets. And there is some truth to it.

- Collapse -
Unfortunately, I don't get to vote on all the monkeys....

And some of the new monkeys are worse than the old ones.

- Collapse -
I remember it about five gorillas as well

It was also how superstitions get started.

Like the wife that always cut the end of her roast off before baking it. Her husband asked why she did it. She said because her mother did it. She called her mother and she said because her mother did it. They called her grandmother and she said because her pan was too short.

When I took psychology, one of the experiments we did was to just give the rat a bit of food every 30 seconds. The rat did a routine it invented that took 30 seconds and figured he was causing the food to drop. This was after we had trained the rat to do other things for food.

Diana

- Collapse -
kosher

I heard the cut roast was an argument over what was kosher between a husband and wife. Point being that observation didn't necessarily equal knowledge.

CNET Forums

Forum Info