Speakeasy forum

General discussion

''Monkey See - Monkey Do''

by Mac McMullen / April 7, 2006 12:00 PM PDT

We are given to understand that the Iraqi?s are trying to learn about Democracy as they work at it. We hear that they are close to an agreement on something today, and then tomorrow it all falls apart. They just can?t seem to come together on anything.

Our political big wigs drop in and out of country and we?re given to understand they have counseled the Iraqi ?leadership? on the importance of getting something accomplished.

Perhaps they are watching what goes on in the US Congress, the bedrock of Democracy, and are attempting to emulate. Might be the Iraqi?s are ?quick studies?.

Let?s take a quick look at some ?headlines? from the recent activity in the Congress with respect to the single issue of immigration reform.

See if you recognize any similarities with what happens in Washington and that which goes on in Baghdad.????..

*** ?The Senate sidetracked sweeping immigration legislation today, leaving in doubt prospects for passing a bill????..?

?..(Similarly, the Iraqi?s cannot form a government)

*** ?A carefully crafted compromise that supporters had claimed could win an overwhelming majority received only 38 of the 60 votes necessary to protect it from weakening amendments by opponents.?

?..(Iraqi?s announce ?close to a deal? one day, and then?)

*** ?Earlier today, President Bush prodded lawmakers to keep trying to reach an agreement.........''

?..(Sounds like the American Ambassador and Secretary of State in Iraq)

*** ?Democrats and Republicans blamed each other for the stalemate.?

?..(In Iraq it?s the Sunni; the Shi?a; the Kurds, and don?t forget the Clerics)

*** ?The ?acrimony? in the Senate at Thursday night's end was a sharp contrast to the accolades 14 members of both parties traded just hours earlier when they announced their compromise.?

?..(In the US ''acrimonious'' words are used?In Iraq they follow their culture and use bombs)

*** ?Frist called it tragic ''that we in all likelihood are not going to be able to address a problem that directly affects the American people.''

?..(In Iraq, physical security of a Nation is the problem)

*** ?Frist, a potential presidential candidate in 2008, sought to establish more conservative credentials when he initially backed a bill limited to border security. At the same time, he has repeatedly called for a comprehensive bill ? adopting Bush's rhetoric ? and involved himself in the fitful negotiations over the past several days.

?..(As in Iraq, there are just too many factions involved to reach any kind of deal or compromise involving more than two entities, particularly by those individuals seeking political hierarchy positions)

Full article: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3778419.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ''Monkey See - Monkey Do''
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ''Monkey See - Monkey Do''
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I wish someone would point this out ...
by Evie / April 7, 2006 12:13 PM PDT

... at the next bloviating press conference where some Dem Senator complains about Iraq not moving fast enough!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Am attempting to..............
by Mac McMullen / April 7, 2006 2:13 PM PDT

...have sent that to both Senators (1D and 1R) and every Rep from this State. Hope it makes it throught the staff screenings.

Collapse -
At times, I wonder
by Dragon / April 8, 2006 11:24 AM PDT

If the notes I send my senator/representative is ever really read. Sometimes I have to think awhile after receiving a form letter from them before I can figure out what it was I wrote them in the first place.

Maybe I'll write them specifically about this...maybe suggesting they at least leave the text of my note attached to their letter.

Collapse -
Unless it's a pet project..............
by Mac McMullen / April 8, 2006 12:28 PM PDT
In reply to: At times, I wonder

......it probably never gets to the intended eyes. I submit the staff probably keeps a "plus" and "minus" poll on things.

Depends upon the individual. I have a couple who answer with a detailed letter. But most times it is an amount of boilerplate with enough reference to what was in my correspondence to make me believe someone read it.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?