Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

Question

Monitors poor resolution

by tapa96 / November 3, 2014 9:06 AM PST

Hello. I have the Dell E 1914H (Analog) monitor, 1366x768. The resolution of the screen is poor. It's like I can see the pixels. It's also kind of blurry. I have Dell XPS 8700, i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 8.1. Any solutions? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitors poor resolution
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitors poor resolution
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
yeah, a new monitor
by James Denison / November 3, 2014 9:15 AM PST

appearance is limited either by max resolution of the video chip on motherboard/video card, or by the monitor capability. Unless that monitor can do higher resolution, there's nothing you can do to help it.

Collapse -
Answer
Are you sure the display setting is at maximum?
by Oldartq / November 3, 2014 3:32 PM PST

Even 1366x768 shouldn't be that bad. Check the display setting to be sure.

Collapse -
Answer
Yes
by tapa96 / November 4, 2014 7:33 AM PST

Yes. I have checked the resolution. It is at it's max. I turned off some services using msconfig. However, I don't know if that is the culprit or not. I restored my system to the point before I turned off some of the services and I didn't notice a difference.

What gives?

Collapse -
Max could be incorrect.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2014 7:39 AM PST
In reply to: Yes
Collapse -
max is best
by tapa96 / November 6, 2014 7:55 AM PST

The max resolution seems to work the best. Also, i'm at 60Hz. Finally, I updated the drivers for the video card (they were up to date). Any other suggestions? This is a bummer. Thanks.

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2014 11:14 AM PST
In reply to: max is best

All the reviews repeat the word "value" so my bet is that it must be a cheap display.
Bob

Collapse -
You are right
by tapa96 / November 14, 2014 11:06 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry no.

I tested my old monitor, which was still a pretty basic Dell, and it was way beter than my new ones. At the end of the day, it was a cheap display. You get what you pay for. Thanks.

Collapse -
Recheck...
by Willy / November 7, 2014 12:29 AM PST
In reply to: max is best

Goto the OSD menu of the monitor itself. Check the contrast and setting, etc. and verify they're not at high levels. These being over-driven will cause problems like fuzzy or washed-out display or any combo of display problems. native resolution is the specs provided at link below...

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=320-9774

leave at native setting or use the OSD menu again and use the "default" setting as a basis for this. If this is a recent purchase, then use the warranty as maybe it's broken is some way and no amount of tweaking wiill settle it. I didn't get the info if you checked the OS side of setting or the video mgr. setting have been tweaked, but if so, "match" them so they're agreeable to each other, conflicts do arise. Of course, be sure they're Win8x ready as well.

Is this a recent problem that cropped-up? In other words did it work before? If not and you just got the monitor then look at a defective or incompatible issue. From all intents and purposes it should work, IMHIO.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
response
by tapa96 / November 9, 2014 7:48 AM PST
In reply to: Recheck...

Thanks. I just bought them. They are blurry like this out of the box. I have yet to try one on another computer, but will when I have the time. I will play w/ the settings as you suggested. Thanks.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!