General discussion

Monitors on ebay

Can ANYONE tell me if it is safe to buy a monitor on ebay and how in the world can they sell them so much cheaper that Dell does. Some guys have 25 of the same monitor. I know this is not a technical help question but I wonder how they do it. Guess my main question still is whether it is safe and will Dell honor the warranty? Thanks so much for any light on this question.
Roy

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Monitors on ebay
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Monitors on ebay
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I did

I bought my 17" CRT on E-Bay about 4 years ago and still using it daily. I never had a problem. Just like shopping anywhere, read the customer ratings and make your choice, I have no idea if Dell will honor a warranty, I expect not if refurbs.

- Collapse -
Yes and No...be aware

If these monitors are stolen (could be?) the SN# will disallow any warranty. In fact, you'll probably get a call.

Of course, monitors are mass produced and some models aren't always needed, thus dumped in order to generate revenue. If Dell does this and "an agreement" is made between seller and vendor to honor a warranty, its usually posted. Also, don't expect a generous warrnty. Many a monitor gets returned for repair/problem and can't be used as new, thus sold to 3rd party sellers. Read the fine print and any eBay seller history. The choice is yours.

enjoy Happy -----Willy

- Collapse -
safe monitor

I bought a new dell computer and lcd monitor on Ebay for a price that I couldn't get it for on the Dell website. It arrived in perfect condition. After a week, the hard drive stopped working. So, I called Dell and they sent out a tech person to replace the hard drive and it all was covered under their warranty. The person I bought it from had purchased it under some discount program available only to educational institutions and then used all of the rebates to get the puter for a price that isn't available to the general public. I got a great deal, he made a little money and everyone is happy. It is just frustrating to see someone abuse the educational discount system that Dell so generously makes available. The computer and monitor were packaged in the original Dell packaging and arrived in great condition. Boxes weren't damaged nor was the monitor.

CNET Forums

Forum Info