Computer Help forum

Question

Monitors "No Signal" With BenQ XL2420t

by Vertikol / August 9, 2013 12:10 AM PDT

I recently have begun building my first gaming/recording computer. I have done the majority of my research, but can only find people with answers that don't seem to work. I will try to explain best I can.

The graphics card I am running is a Nvidia 780. I go to connect the DVI dual link (as instructed) and start up the computer. Everything INSIDE the computer seems to be running fine. The graphics card comes on, and the fans start up, and the cooling system turns on. But then when I go to turn on the monitor, which is in the title, it gives me a message saying "No Signal Found"

I am using an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme x79 motherboard.

Things to note:
* There is no operating system installed yet. Mostly due to...
* There is no CD reader in yet.

However I still believe I should be getting some kind of response from the monitor.

What I have tried:
*Using the HDMI cable instead, even though I shouldn't have to.
*Unplugging and replugging.
*Moving my graphics card to a different slot on the motherboard.
*Testing the monitors with VGA cable and my laptop. Worked fine. But laptop doesnt have a DVI port for me to test.

So what am I doing wrong, is it a rookie mistake or is something not compatible?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitors "No Signal" With BenQ XL2420t
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitors "No Signal" With BenQ XL2420t
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
First, do you understand why answers are that way?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2013 12:38 AM PDT

If you have a new problem and folk can't see your PC or you don't have a complete PC then all answers may seem to be incorrect.

Looking at your post I don't see a PC with enough parts to function yet. A motherboard and power supply is not enough and some boards arrive with the setup in reset which only means it will do as you report.

You bring up a good point. Do you believe that parts suppliers and makers owe us much more? That is, because you bought the parts they should fix the machine?
Bob

Collapse -
What am I still missing?
by Vertikol / August 9, 2013 1:24 AM PDT

Well a hard drive and an SSD are hooked up, and the power supply, motherboard, cooling system, ect. should be wired correctly. The only things not in are the CD reader. Which I need to get a new one later today. And I need the CD reader to install the operating system.

And yes I realize people have other rigs than mine, and will get different results, but I tried doing some of the previous suggestions, and ended up with nothing.

What do you suggest I do first?

Collapse -
Return it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2013 1:28 AM PDT

As the parts are DOA you should call them up and return the parts and try again.

Remember I have made big assumptions you did read prior help on this so I did not mention building it on cardboard outside the case or the usual extra mounting stud issues. Again, you lead you have read all that so my thought is you have bad parts.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
You said the VGA works, which...
by Oldartq / August 9, 2013 4:01 AM PDT

tells me maybe the card is ok but since this is not a 100% functional computer, I wonder what will tell the card to switch port. You think the monitor sensing alone should do it? I am just wondering.

Collapse -
I don't know...
by Vertikol / August 9, 2013 7:44 AM PDT

I tested a D-Sub cable with my laptop on the monitors, and it worked okay. I need to find an HDMI cable to do another test with the desktop, but its seems to be just the DVI cables not responding.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.