HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Monitors Going to Sleep, Can't Wake Up No Matter What!

by kjutson / September 5, 2008 10:51 PM PDT

System:
Dual monitors (before, 2 CRT, now 1 LCD, 1 CRT)
Windows XP

Before I took my PC to shop, system monitors were going to sleep 10 minutes after boot up. At shop, both screens working without going to sleep. When I brought back home, unpacked new LCD monitor, cabled both monitors to machine, booted up, both went to sleep at first within a few minutes, now they're both going to sleep at boot up. Graphics card was replaced, so this is not the problem. Please help, this is my business and I am losing money. Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitors Going to Sleep, Can't Wake Up No Matter What!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitors Going to Sleep, Can't Wake Up No Matter What!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"now they're both going to sleep at boot up."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2008 11:17 PM PDT

Thats not a good sign. Since you don't see the BIOS, Windows booting or even a beep (not noted in your post) the machine has likely failed. Nothing in your post tells me that its not the machine.
Bob

Collapse -
sleepy monitors
by kjutson / September 5, 2008 11:37 PM PDT

What I don't understand is why the system works at the shop but not at home. I've even tried plugging various parts of the system into the wall directly, bypassing the surge protector, to no avail.

Collapse -
It's dead.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2008 11:44 PM PDT
In reply to: sleepy monitors

That's the rub. Your AC cord could be bad, the machine could be on its side at home, upright at shop. Etc. As it stands, as described, it's a dead PC.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. If only dead at home.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2008 11:45 PM PDT
In reply to: It's dead.

Time to ask for a house call.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.