General discussion

monitors goes hayiwire

I have three monitors used as my extended desktop running on Window Xp professional.

The problem is when I click to watch a video, my monitors goes through a lot of gyrations losing resolution I set before it finally settles down. This is very annoying for I have to reset the resolution of the monitors.

Is there a way to get around this. I really want the monitors to keep their settings and not be affected by playin the video.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: monitors goes hayiwire
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: monitors goes hayiwire
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Monitors

Not enough information on the situation, hardware used to hook up to system, monitors, cable type, computer vid capability, etc.

- Collapse -
monitor display problem

my main laptop screen is 12280x800on ATI Radeon HD 3470
my extended monitors are:

1280 x 1024 also on ATI Radeon HD 3470 display
1280 x 1024 on USB 2.0 VGA display ( a USB hooked up driving VGA display)
1280 x 1024 on EVGA UV Plus display link also hooked up thru a USB port to my lap top.

All above 3 are on windows extended destop.

After the Ex destop is configured all is well until I run a clip of on online vildeo or othe attached video I get through my email. Then the resolution goes off. I am tempted to turn off the extended desktop until I finish viewing the video.

I was wondering if there is a way to run the video without disturbing the monitors resolution. There is probably some utility that tells me what video format the file is and the best resolution to run it. I was wondering if it cannot be resolved can windows 7 or the upcoming 8 solve the muti-monitor problem

- Collapse -
Monitors

I am not sure what to tell you on the drop out issue but streamed video clips are generally pretty low resolution, no where near HD, 1280 X 1024. The hook ups you have shown are not what is typically used for HD hook ups, normally they would be DVI or HDMI, not VGA.That shouldn't matter as far as just normal streaming to one monitor but multiple hook ups I suspect might be a problem. Hopefully one of the guys on here will have a solution for your problem. So where is Bob Proffit or Kees Baker when you need them ?? If they see this I am sure they will chime in and perhaps find a resolution to your problem.

CNET Forums