PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Monitor with amber light

by simpson / November 5, 2005 5:32 AM PST

Hey guys. I have a question. I am currently working a on compaq presario 7922, Win 98 not sure on the processor because its not mine. The problem is the monitor displays nothing. As soon as you boot the machine the monitor green light flashes and then turns amber. I figured that the integrated vid card went bad because the monitor works on other machines. I install an extra vid card I had but this didnt fix the issue. So I dig a little deeper. I check the power supply just to make sure the system is getting the power it needs and it does. So the power supply seems to be ok. I noticed that the keyboard lights doesnt light up as the system boots up (system boots up == all cables connected and fans/tower lights are fine). Now the issue could be a mobo problem, but I'm not 100% sure on this. This is just another thing that it may be. Speaking of the lights not flashing, whenever I unplug the keyboard while the system is on, you can see the keyboard light come on and then right back off. So it seems that the mobo is "somewhat" working. I also suspected the Hard Drive because the windows logon doesnt sound when booting guess the sound is not muted because the user never mutes the sound. Back to the keyboard, I also tried holding hold a key during the bootup to see if it would get a keyboard error.

That about all the things i have tried. Can anyone give any suggestions or what youe think.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor with amber light
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor with amber light
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you disable the onboard video
by Ray Harinec / November 5, 2005 5:55 AM PST

in the BIOS before you tried the plug in video card???

Does it seem to be booting normally [except no video]. Any chance that the CMOS battery is bad, thus preventing successful POST / boot??

By the "power it needs" you mean that the main 5 volts is in spec, the 3.3 volts is in spec, the 12 volts is in spec, and the PowerOK signal changes state shortly after the main rails are turned on.

Re errors, remembeber that in the BIOS, one can set it to not show any errors. Thus maybe why the keyboard test didn't work.

Collapse -
Can't disable
by simpson / November 5, 2005 7:42 AM PST

Well, I can't disable the onboard card because I cant see on the monitor to do it. I did change the cmos battery and still nothing. I also connected the hard drive to a different machine and it boots and the monitor displays compaq. I also tried another hard drive in the machine that is having the issue and nothing happens.

Collapse -
Re: Can't disable
by Clydar / November 5, 2005 12:51 PM PST
In reply to: Can't disable

If you have an old PCI video card laying around, you may want to give that a try. It will usually disable the on-boad when you put in another card. That's my best suggestion.

Collapse -
PCI Card
by simpson / November 6, 2005 12:09 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Can't disable

I have already done that. I put in the pci card and it's still doing the same thing.

Collapse -
any others?
by simpson / November 6, 2005 10:53 AM PST
In reply to: PCI Card

Wouild any other try to help/

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?