Computer Help forum

General discussion

Monitor will Not Recognize Computer, works sometimes.

Ok I have an hp slimline desktop that was ''built'' on the hp site. Intel quad core 9300, nvidia 8600 (I think) Has a foxconn motherboard. Windows 64 bit. Ok, got that out of the way. Have been having problems with the monitor recognizing the computer for some time. All the lights, hard drive power power up in the computer just fine, just cant see whats going on due to the monitor not being recognized. But..this is usually remedied by either turning the 10 strip off for 10 seconds and turning back on, or, and most cases unplugging the power cable directly from the back of the tower. This has worked until the other day, now I cant get the monitor on at all despite all my hack tricks. I even talked trash about the computers motherboard and told it it had better recognize or else!! lol. The monitor is an hp monitor as well, its an lcd and goes to sleep after telling me there is no input signal. I have tried both the vga and dvi, nothing....So what could this be? graphics card? Mother board? Power supply? If its the graphics card I am wondering if taking it out and re-inserting it might help at all? Any help would be much appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor will Not Recognize Computer, works sometimes.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor will Not Recognize Computer, works sometimes.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd try another video card.

In reply to: Monitor will Not Recognize Computer, works sometimes.

I'm seeing this failure on 8400 to 8600 based video cards. Pretty simple to fix but hard on the owners as they want the video card fixed!
Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: I'd try another video card.

pretty simple to fix but hard to fix? lol I dont think I understood that one. Well if it is the card is there anything I can do besides replace it? And I currently cant see anything due to the monitor not working..

Collapse -
Exactly what I'm running into.

In reply to: .

I run into failed video cards that the owner doesn't want replaced. It's like a flat tire with slashed sidewalls. The owner wants you to fix that?

Sorry but I truly want to help you figure this out. Try the usual again by moving the display to another PC for a sanity check.

Let's say you don't want to change the Nvidia card? Would you try this -> (watch the video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6fTZE1Ex1w&feature=related (watch others.)

Here I've see this too often.

In parting be sure to unplug ALL USB devices for a test boot.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.