Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Monitor vs. TV, which one to use on my desktop.

I am looking for a new screen for my desktop. I noticed that my dad managed to hook up his desktop to a 60 inch TV. At the same time, I was looking for a monitor and they were a little more expensive than the tv's and at a smaller size. What are the pros and cons of each? I just bought an XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor vs. TV, which one to use on my desktop.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor vs. TV, which one to use on my desktop.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Too many combos and setups, etc.

In reply to: Monitor vs. TV, which one to use on my desktop.

Your immediate issues are scan rate(resolution) and connectivity. If you can hook it up w/o special needs and use the default native supported resolution it could be easy. Otherwise, anything else needs attention and here is when many users start to delve into whatever works or can work. It may not be the best result but it works. You do need a capable video card with varying resolutions and connects. The monitor or TV is the other half and usually it doesn't flex, so the computer side usually needs to adapt or become the changing item here. Because, of all the varying products and cables, etc., it becomes finding this or that and hope for the best. That doesn't always mean the cheapest either, so consider what you're getting into and understand any return policy of brought items. Understand what works in one situation may not in another. I find this a problematic PITA area to deal in as explained above.

Since, you already have the video card and PC, find the specs in order to match as best as possible to any future TV/monitor purchase. The more ports and any setup feature the more likely its desirable. Be ready to review any manuals and listen intently to the salespeople. if they can't or seem unsure, move on. Try another store or vendor and look for possible arrangement for that vendor/store to actually setup the items, some do that now.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
This is not difficult!

In reply to: Too many combos and setups, etc.

What you want to do is really not difficult at all. You already have an ATI card that is fully capable. I'll give you an example. I needed a new monitor and bought a Samsung T260. My Daughter also needed a new monitor and wanted TV with it so I got her a Samsung HD240. Both are easy to hook up and the basic difference between the two is: her's has an HDTV tuner and mine does not. I built a Media Center PC which has ATI HD4200 graphics built into the Motherboard and it displays HD on my Sony 50" HDTV without problems. The best way to hook up the PC and TV is with an HDMI cable. If your ATI card does not have HDMI built in, then they may have supplied a DVI to HDMI adapter with it. If not, they are easy to get. HDMI delivers BOTH video AND audio so there is no need for separate cables. Basically it's just "plug it in and turn it on"!

Collapse -
It mostly works.

I bought a 32" LG LD450 LCD TV, and hooked it up via HDMI cable to my computer. First, I needed ATI's Catalyst Control Center Software to get the screen to scale right. Until then, reading text was painful.

But still, even though I'm using HDMI input to the TV, it looks like VGA. There are halos around black-on-gray text and the like. I was expecting a perfectly crisp DVI monitor experience. Kinda disappointed.

Collapse -
MONITOR

Monitor is for computer. TV is for home entertainment.

Collapse -
Monitor

Personally I like Monitor.

Collapse -
Me too

In reply to: Monitor

I would prefer a monitor.

Collapse -
I use a TV, but...

I purchased a Sony Bravia 40 inch lcd TV. I hooked it up as TV and HDMI (this has the better picture and sound) to a hd dvr. I also hooked up my quad core pc to the TV. I'm a grandmotherly type, but have built 3 computers in the past; it was easy to hook up. I like being able to stretch out on my couch and read or watch everything on my big screen. The only mistake I made was getting a 720 dpi TV instead of a 1080 dpi TV. Some of the games I would like to play need a higher resolution than this TV can provide. TV takes up less room than TV and separate monitor. I have p in p so I can watch TV in a small area of the screen and work/play on the computer at the same time.

Collapse -
Monitor vs TV

I have my desktop hooked up to my 52" TV and love it. I use ATI Catylst Control Center to match the resolution for my TV. I believe the card is called ATI HD. Sorry I can't be specific with the name as I had help building my system from scratch. It's not all that difficult.

Collapse -
expensive one

You should purchase that screen that is expensive one. As we know that this is not the thing that is purchased daily. Expense once and get well screen according to your requirement.

Collapse -
Get a monitor

It's less expensive and if you want to watch tv programs on it in the future then you can just buy an external tv tuner (no pc needed) for under $50.

Collapse -
Sep 2016 monitor vs tv?

In reply to: Get a monitor

Most of the posts that I have seen on the debate as to whether a TV screen or a monitor is the better option for computering are very old. That means that there is a lot of irrelevant and out of date information out there.

I have just purchased a 43 inch Phillips UHD 4K TV– ultra high definition TV. It as a pixel resolution of 3840X2160. It's a 2016 model. The price was CHF 699. That's around $680.

After having used it for a couple of days as my computer monitor I can't see any drawback.

Price: Cheaper than most smaller UHD monitors.

Use: It has 4 USB and 4 HDMI slots as well as a host of other inputs.

Setup: At first I noticed that moving Windows around seemed slightly jerky. But then I found the smooth action setting on the tv and the problem was solved.

Sound: like all TVs this has TV quality sound.

Main advantage: you couldn't buy a computer monitor of this size. It's a huge screen.

Recommendation: 43" is a good size you don't need to turn your neck. I think there is a danger of neck strain if you went to say 65". Make sure you buy UHD. NOT HD.

Conclusion: If you want a large screen at a low price, a TV is the way to go in 2016.

Collapse -
Well the biggest difference is a TV

has a TV tuner and a Monitor doesn't. Typically your monitors are not going to be as big as your TV's which is an advantage and disadvantage. Since computer usage is more text based than TV viewing the larger screens are better for video than they are for text presentation. Looking at Best Buy they have a non big name brand 28" hi def monitor for 299. Also looking at Best But the TV's under 43" aren't available in UHD as 1080 is the max resolution while the monitors 28" and 27" are available in UHD for a good price but the best are high in price.

Collapse -

In reply to: Well the biggest difference is a TV

Not to be rude but what the hell are you people talking about? There is a huge difference between monitors and television sets for PC usage. This is why many people who know anything by PC monitors because they excel way over TVs. I had a 46 inch 2011 Samsung with my desktop, and this thing was 1080P 120hertz and cost 900 dollars on sale when I got it. It sucked *** on pc, good on console/bluray movies. Major lag on games. The thing about monitors is they have millisecond delays down to 1 or 5. TVs are far higher. This impacts gaming like a mother, esp PC gaming since it is of much higher fidelity. Also the colors/black levels for games on monitors is like night and day. TVs are like the Walmart brand of gaming on screens. It is a huge noticeable difference unless you really aren't much of a serious gamer who probably cant tell the difference between 720p vs 1080p.

Collapse -
TVs have better speakers

TVs in general have bigger and better speakers, and so better sound.
major consideration.

Collapse -
Well most TV's sound really isn't that

In reply to: TVs have better speakers

good either and that's why Home theater and sound bars are popular.

To meet the standards, TV sets need to be at a fixed resolution, and all images that it needs to display are either upscaled or downscaled to meet the resolution. The biggest and most advanced HDTV sets are limited to the 1080p/i resolution, which is fixed at 1920×1080. Computer monitors have always been far ahead of TVs when it comes to resolution, with the latest computer monitors reaching resolutions of 2580×2048. This is because computer monitors are expected to display just about much anything, while TV sets have a very standardized set of inputs.

Read more: Difference Between TV and Computer Monitor | Difference Between http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-tv-and-computer-monitor/#ixzz4hAv33ZkY

Collapse -
I prefer a TV

Well, since I live in an apartment, I'd need to maximize the space. I opted to get a desktop instead of a laptop too. I use my TV as my desktop screen, saved me space and saved me the cost of getting a separate monitor.

Collapse -
Great idea.

In reply to: I prefer a TV

I was thinking of buying a new TV, it would indeed be useful if I get a TV that would work with a desktop so if ever there's a need for a bigger screen, my TV got me covered.

Collapse -
Up to date?

Now that a few years have past, would t.v. screens compatible for a hard drive, considering that I am a reader, gamer, and drafrer, would a t.v. be the best option for me?

Collapse -
I continue to see monitors to be clearer, sharper than TV

In reply to: Up to date?

This is a GENERAL statement. Yes there are monitors that are terrible and TVs that are clearer so I'm going to write on average you'll want the monitor every time.

Collapse -
Connection, PS is nice but if your looking.

PS1 Connection is nice but two best connectors on market isn't fold tiped.

OK you get a double y adapter and that's a (2) HDMI connectors with a PS1 connect,
if you connect all this in then click Analysis on Program graphics card setting, and this should set computer to utilize the fact of that one option no one's knows what to do with on graphics card.
I have used this option but often get a color array problem as it wants 3D option on and you should cause it will fix the problem and not 3D the screen but help line up the Color organize'ing problem.

think word spelled analiase'ing antrophic, in 3d setting with physix on and set correct. As it will run 3 way parallel.

Far as best grahics and a double back graphic card with same connection U'd into one another with three way Pairallel single conection.
That's just a monitor with Gloss'y finish and PS1 and combination connection if computer supports it, far as best graphics on Screen I would go with Computer monitor and less then a 28 inch display to 15 inch minium. The pairellel'ing will allow bigger displays with a real high definition picture.

But I would pick 24 to 27 and combination connection unless it' has the 1 gb graphics card built in on HDMI or Graphic's connector built in to monitor.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.