Peripherals forum

General discussion

Monitor Upgrade

by ogb / March 3, 2010 11:06 AM PST

I recently bought a new pc and so far I've haven't had any problems with it. However, I am unhappy with using my 23 inch monitor. Everything looks beautiful on it, but I wanted a larger display. I want the full HD experience. So I just bought a Sony BRAVIA KDL40EX500 and connected it via hdmi. Needless to say, I was somewhat dissapointed with the performance. It's not a calibration problem with the Sony. When connected to the pc, everything looks grainy and pixelated on video that looks so perfect on my smaller monitor, you would swear it was live tv. My video card is an ati raedon hd 4550. Is it at all possible to get an excellent quality image from my Sony by getting a high quality video card? If I do, will I have to buy an even higher quality hdtv to match? Maybe I'm missing something. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor Upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor Upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just thinking out loud;
by ahtoi / March 4, 2010 12:42 AM PST
In reply to: Monitor Upgrade

If the tv has a vga input, maybe give that a look and see how it is. Hope you are not sitting very close to the tv set.

Collapse -
New NEC Monitor - P221W - Ghosting
by GenevaJohn / March 5, 2010 3:27 AM PST
In reply to: Monitor Upgrade

i'm responding to the 'monitor upgrade' thread and not to the question already posed.
Have just plugged in a brand new NEC P221W monitor.
The display has ghosting (every window / dialog box / tool box has extra vertical lines to the right. Same for the cursor.
It's the same no matter what the brightness. Also the same in 100% daylight.
We bought this as it was recommended for graphic work, but this isn't good enough for us.
This is a VGA connected monitor out of Win7. By running the 'old' ViewSonic monitor on the second PC output we see no ghosting at all on this second (ViewSonic) display (e.g. when moving the same window across from one to the other).
Question:
Can this be fixed (and I mean completely eliminated)?
Should I return it to the supplier stating that is has an unacceptable fault (... but are all these monitors like this?? Yuk!
Advice most welcome. Need to decide Monday.
Thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!