PC Hardware forum

Question

Monitor switches/powers off during hard drive & OS installat

ATI RADEON
HD 4600 (Visiontek)

I have written to ATI but, of course NEVER got any reply

This is ONLY a recent problem - I have had this computer for a couple years with this current configuration & have installed several Hard drives during that time for different reasons (size, OS (Windows, Linux) ETC) - but, with Microsoft ending support for XP - I decided to get an SSD drive, I wanted install a small partition of XP for programs I really love on XP (photo, etc) & a new version of LINUX for my main OS

However, as I have done times before on this computer with NO prior problems, what is happening now & at first for whatever reasons made me think it was with my motherboard (ASUS) to which I wrote to the company as the company for your motherboard also provides the BIOS for your system - But, ASUS is no help at all & responded with a half ***, pass the buck response - obviously they won't help their customers ------- but, then it hit me like a ton of bricks, who knows why it didn't before hand

What is happening, is now when I am trying to install a hard drive - during the installation of the OS (have tried both Windows & Linux - and this happens with both) - that my monitor switches off -of, course it's still got power but, as if it no longer is getting signal power, as if I put it in sleep or turned off the monitor ----- I haven't had this problem before & the computer works fine with no problems at all with my current hard drive - once with NO drive attached while adjusting BIOS settings - it did this

This isn't a compatibility issue with the new SSD as I had also tried using an older unused HDD drive reformatting with LINUX on there & this also occurred - NO new hardware (graphics, sound cards have been changed) - the computer is how it has been for a couple years BUT, only now is this problem occurring --- I did actually get Windows installed onto the new drive & have had it boot to the desktop - I have even started to set up once before my monitor turns off - even if this was because, it still hasn't updated all the drivers yet - it hasn't happened before with other drives used - I did try to plug my monitor to the onboard VGA port of the motherboard to get to finish setting up but, no signal at all there

I can get as far as the actual installation of the OS - & Windows did actually install but, still turns off & can only get so far with the LINUX install before it too also turns off ------- Because, I have an ASUS motherboard - the Bios sucks, very very limited settings - I am only impressed by the fact that it does in the least offer USB support --- but, again as far as the monitor & screen goes - this problem has NEVER happened before & does NOT happen at all with my current year old drive with WINDOWS XP - but, I will have to stop using it as XP is no longer supported I will eventually be unsafe & unsecured to viruses & such

THANK YOU

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor switches/powers off during hard drive & OS installat
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor switches/powers off during hard drive & OS installat
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What video port?

Try the VGA port if you have one. If you're using a higher tech port for video, switch to that later. As well, if you're using an add-in card, disable any MB video device first.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
So it switches off with Linux too?

In reply to: Monitor switches/powers off during hard drive & OS installat

That points to hardware issues. It doesn't mean the end. Did you force the Linux video mode to stay inside what the display supports?

(I read your post twice and can't find the make/model display.)

Also, SSD on XP is a bad idea. No trim command so you may be displeased. I'll stop here since that issue is well discussed.
Bob

Collapse -
More about XP and SSD. in other words, I would not do this.

In reply to: So it switches off with Linux too?

Collapse -
Answer
Is the BIOS a software type?

Some OEM computers come with the BIOS written to the hard drive, not as firmware on the motherboard.

Collapse -
Answer
Monitor switches/powers off during hard drive & OS install

In reply to: Monitor switches/powers off during hard drive & OS installat

to follow up - I have indeed found that the grpahics card was responsible for this problem -- why I didn't have any problems with my current XP drive - but, I removed card & used onboard vga to set up new drive - then, I bought a new card & haven't had any issues - the old card worked great with my XP drive but, I did find the fan motor siezed so, maybe a good thing to prevent overheating the gpu --------------------- but, all seems good - no problems all week -- I won't need to post anymore to this

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.