PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Monitor randomly blacking out

I recently bought an ACER AL2223WD monitor and after I installed it on my pc I started to get random black screens. It gets much worse depending on how complicated the graphics for the program I am running on it. Google Earth makes it go nuts as does Solidworks (AutoCad).

It worked okay on my old Phillips 150B 15" LCD monitor

I already tried the monitor out on a HP workstation and it worked beautifully so I know that the monitor is not the issue.

I updated every driver, made sure the PC recognized the monitor (this took a bit of doing as it resisted doing so), and updated all the Catalyst software. It's set to the recommended refresh rate and settings (60Hz, 1,650 X 1,050 resolution, high color 32 bit).

What gives?

Windows XP SP3
OCZ GameXtreme 700W powersupply
Abit AS8V m/b
Intel P4 650 3.4Ghz w/Zalman 7600 series fan
2Gb Kingston DDR400 Ram
Visiontek Radeon x1550 256mb ram AGP
Soundblaster Audigy ZS
Acer AL2223WD 22" Widescreen LCD monitor
Western Digital 60gb 7200rpm HD
Sony DVD-Rom
Samsung DVD-R,RW

One more thing..old info. Why can't the Abit AS8V boot up with an ATI 9800 All-in-wonder Pro 128 video card?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor randomly blacking out
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor randomly blacking out
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i assume you mean the screen blinks out for a second or two

In reply to: Monitor randomly blacking out

that's somewhat common with radeon cards and some catalyst drivers. does your card have dual dvi ports? if so, try moving the monitor to the other port. are you using a VGA-to-DVI adapter? if so, try to find another adapter.

you can also try installing the latest drivers and then change the DVI settings. open CCC, select Digital Panel/Attributes, and set 'Reduce DVI frequency' and/or 'Alternate DVI operational mode'.

Collapse -
Multiple ports

Unfortunatly the X1550 card I bought only has one DVI and one VGA port.

I do have the very latest drivers for the M/B bios, ACER monitor, and the newest ATI Catalyst Software (8.7), which I've in/uninstalled 3 times.

I haven't tried the VGA port yet and I'll try the CCC - DVI change you suggested tonight.

Then I'll start swearing at it again.

Eventually, I'm sure I'll have to negotiate with the wife to gut the pc out to do build #14 and install a PCI-X motherboard, DDR 800+ memory, and an NVIDIA video card (no more dang ATI's).

Collapse -
Let the swearing begin

In reply to: Multiple ports

Well, I unhooked the Acer Monitor from the DVI port and attached it to the VGA port (which I'd been using with the older monitor for over a year) and whaddya know ... after a couple of minor adjustments to the monitor control (fuzzy lines), it worked fine - no blinking off on Google Earth or anything else.

Bad words are being uttered. Stupid DVI port on the ATI X1550 video card is faulty. Arrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!!!!

I hope I can find the receipts and it's still under warranty.

I still wish I knew why the ATI 9800 ALL-IN-WONDER PRO 128 won't work on this motherboard. If I gotta use the VGA port I may as well get my TV tuner back.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.