Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Desktops forum

General discussion

Monitor Question

by Kurashiki / May 1, 2004 3:55 PM PDT

I have a relatively old Sotec desk top computer ( about 4 years ). I am still using the original monitor ( full-size type). Howvever, for the past 6 months or so I have been have problems with the monitor. I cannot seem to get full color and the screen is a yellowish-green. Sometimes everything is fine, and sometimes if I slightly push on the monitor the problem goes away. But, eventually it I will lose color again.

It seems like there must be a connection or wire lose somewhere, but I've checked all of the external ones I could find and that hasn't fixed the problem.

I am living in Japan and it's pretty expensive to by just a new monitor. There are some used one's to but they are pretty steep as well. So, I'd like to try and have my current monitor fixed, if possible.

A while back, when I was in the U.S., I asked at a computer store about the problem and was told that probably the "gun" inside my monitor was going and needed to be replaced.

Has anyone ever heard about this "gun"? Is it a complicted thing to fix or replace? How much would something like that roughly cost? Finally, has anyone experienced a problem with their monitor like the one I am having and what did you do to correct it?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Monitor Question
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2004 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Monitor Question

The "gun" is inside the CRT. Maybe in the 1950's to about the 1970 timeframe the cost of replacing the CRT was greater than sawing off the neck of the tube to weld on a new gun assembly, but today such is only done for some old and now exotic displays such as those air traffic control screens.

Monitor repair is getting to be a lost art since repair costs are exceeding new CRT costs. While it's not where you are, a new 17" CRT VGA display was 79USD locally. The minimum shop charge is over 100USD. Very easy to do the math.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Monitor Question
by qualityresults / May 2, 2004 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Monitor Question

As a Computer technician, the only thing I will not repair is a monitor, as the risk, (electrical discharge) especially on older monitors, as well as the cost of trying to repair them is not worth the effort as the last respondant mentioned the costs of repair overshadow the cost of a new one.

DO NOT try to repair this, if you are not qualified, as the amount of electricity contained in old CRT's is enough to kill you, or at least plant you in the wall across the room. In some cases as high as 30000 volts and this does not discharge when you shut off the monitor.

Not trying to force you to buy a new monitor, but no matter what the cost is where you are, it's still cheaper than your life.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Monitor Question
by Kurashiki / May 2, 2004 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Monitor Question

Thanks for the info.

Actually, I wasn't even thinking about trying to fix the monitor myself. I heard it was a pretty dangerous thing to try so I was going to leave it to the pro's.

I wish I could find a cheap used monitor like you mentioned around here. Most of the shops I have seen have one's that look more beat up and older than mine. The decent looking one's usually start at somehwere between $300 to $400. I could go for the newer, thinner LCD monitors. They are really nice looking. But that would set me back at least a $1000 and it would be cheaper to just by a new computer.

If I do find a good used monitor, does it make a difference if the monitor make is different from the one I am currently using?

Thanks again

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!