PC Hardware forum

General discussion

monitor problems HELP!!!! please

by zappyisfun / February 23, 2005 6:03 PM PST

ok well i got a brand new geforce 6800 GT OC and when i turned my computer on my monitor is SOOO BLURRY! it looks like im looking at it without my glasses on all teh words ar e messed up and eveyrthing...yesterday i messed witht he cord in the back of the monitor and noticed when its angled at a certian way the words stop being blurry but then i can see shadows of my mosue cursor,icons and stuff and its onnying...is my monitor going bad should i buy a new one? and my monitor is pretty dark no matter how high brightness is

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: monitor problems HELP!!!! please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: monitor problems HELP!!!! please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
swap it out
by jancawa55 / February 23, 2005 8:13 PM PST

I recommend trying it on another monitor to see if the problem follows. You did not say how your monitor worked b4 the new card. If you swap parts to isolate the problem you can often narrow down the problem area to find a solution. If the same prob shows on another monitor that would indicate not a monitor specific prob.
The same for video card, cables and drivers.

Collapse -
Check again
by Willy / February 23, 2005 10:58 PM PST

If you use extra video cable, reduce it to the only the orginal VGA cable, check results. If the problem persists, then use that warranty NOW! Of course try to adjust the monitor for best results, otherwise you have a bad monitor, maybe caused by shipping, etc. Cjeck also for any bent, pushed, otherwise odd looking pins on all the VGA cable(s).

good luck Happy -----Willy

Collapse -
already RMAed video card 2 times
by zappyisfun / February 24, 2005 9:20 AM PST
In reply to: Check again

i already RMA'ed my video card and they sent me a brand new one againa nd its still doing it

Collapse -
Re: monitor problems
by JamesJ / February 25, 2005 10:43 PM PST

You've already gotten some good suggestions, like swapping things around. FWIW, I'll add the following.

What size monitor is it? Is the video cable built-in or does it plug into the monitor?

When I got this 19 inch monitor I found that text was kind of blurry. There was a sort of ghost effect. This may be similar to what you've been seeing. I can't tell. The cable on this monitor is not built-in and the cable I was using was pretty lightweight and not well shielded. When I replaced it with a "heavy duty", shielded, video cable, the problem cleared right up. If your problem started when you changed video cards, maybe the signal on the new video card isn't quite as strong as the old card or something, so you need a better cable. If your video cable plugs into your monitor, you might try a new, "heavy duty" and shielded, video cable. Especially if you have a large monitor, since they apparently require a better video signal. Cables like this can be had fairly cheap. I got this one on eBay for around $12 as I recall.

James

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!