PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Monitor problems

I doubt there's anyone who can help me with this one, but I might as well take a shot in the dark.

I have a monitor that likes to shut off every 30 seconds... which means I have to "turn it off" then turn it back on again. The strange thing is its inconsistency with which it does this.

Initially I thought it might be a windows problem, because I noticed certain full screen apps (games) rarely if ever experience the monitor shut down - even if it's in the middle of one of its fits, I can start up Hitman Contracts, and the monitor lasts as long as the game does. Other full screeners aren't so lucky.

The monitor can run fine for hours, then it will start flipping out again. I'm pretty sure it's not a windows problem, because I tried the monitor on my sister's computer with the same result, and another old monitor on my computer without any trouble above and beyond what the old monitor already had.

I thought maybe it was an overheating problem - however, while the monitor will run fine for hours, then start its fits... other times, it'll have its fits for a good 10 or 20 minutes off a cold start... I play my full screener game without trouble, go back to the windows desktop, and oddly enough, it keeps running fine - then jumps back into its fits a couple of hours later.

IF I can avoid it, I'd really like to avoid junking the thing - I just lost a major source of income, so replacing the monitor won't be an option for awhile. I have nothing against going inside the monitor either, as the warranty is long since over and void. Like I said, this is a shot in the dark, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate them... thanks very much.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Iffy, but....

In reply to: Monitor problems

You pretty much figured it was the monitor. If the monitor is a decent one, have it repaired. Unless, you plan to repair(you're capable) then go ahead but beware of hi-voltage, etc. You're problem is either the scan freq circuit or I/O panel. Either way, unless you have access to parts, you're pretty alone in trying to repair. The cost of repair(shop) may push you to replace or now is a good reason to try a LCD replacement. Of course, if you have warranty, use it. Cheap monitors can start at $79/17in. when on sale or not if shopped around for. Used monitors can be less or gotten cheaply, check local Goodwill or S. Army outlet shops.

enjoy -----Willy

Collapse -
LETHAL!

In reply to: Monitor problems

LETHAL!

There are LETHAL! and DEADLY voltages inside such monitors even a year after you unplug the AC cord inside the monitor. I must proceed any tip about monitors with the fact that working on such, can be lethal. Your choice.

If this was mine, I'd remove the AC, the cover and take the unit to the outside (porch, driveway, etc.) and give it a dusting with a compressed air can. Then button it back up and hope.

-> A trip to any repair facility can outstrip the replacement cost.

Bob

Collapse -
Sound advice, Bob

In reply to: LETHAL!

The monitor still holds a capacity charge of deadly volts! usually around the top area under the cover. That is all I can say, because I would never find it viable to attempt an repair such an inexpensive product. The Danger outways the cost of a new one.
I have found many monitors for free. This message was just typed on a FREE 21 inch SuperMatch brand monitor, out of a local downtown dumpster.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!