Computer Help forum

General discussion

Monitor problem

by topher1723 / January 4, 2007 6:53 AM PST

I've posted this a couple of other places with nothing to show for it, so hopefully someone can help me out. I made a stupid mistake. My monitor has been working, but Windows was not recognizing it for some reason. I was just playing around with some of the settings, which I shouldn't have been doing. In the monitor properties, I changed the setting to Do Not Use This Device. It prompted me that I needed to restart the computer before the changes would take effect. I then thought it over and realized that might not be a good change. So I then changed it back to Use This Device, and it prompted me again to restart to make the changes. I did that thinking it would just go back to the way it was. Well......I guess I was wrong. Now every time my computer gets to the point where Windows is supposed to load up, nothing happens. I'm guessing this is because there is no monitor associated with it. It does the same thing when I start in safe mode and VGA mode, which is no surprise. I'm so frustrated right now. Is there any way that I can change that monitor setting without being in Windows? Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Chris

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
reply to: Monitor problem
by ron834 / January 4, 2007 7:40 AM PST
In reply to: Monitor problem

Open the start menu and then go to the RUN command. Type RESTORE and then hit OK. Open the RSTRUI file and follow the wizard.

-Ron

Collapse -
Eh
by topher1723 / January 4, 2007 7:41 AM PST

I can't get in to Windows, so I don't think that will help me.

Collapse -
Tried Using A Different Monitor?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 4, 2007 9:22 AM PST
In reply to: Eh

..such as swapping in an LCD vs your current CRT....or vice versa.?

Maybe Windows will recognize the need for a different set of drivers and install different ones and allow itself to start up.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
A thought, Grif.
by caktus / January 5, 2007 1:32 PM PST

When topher1723 starts the computer isn't Windows actually loading as it should? Just with no monitor? I guess it would be like shooting in the dark, but shouldn't is be possible to rectify thw problem using keyboard shortcuts if one knew that particular systems configuration? Perhaps even much easier using Command prompt?

Charlie

Collapse -
Yes
by topher1723 / January 5, 2007 1:39 PM PST
In reply to: A thought, Grif.

You are right. I turned my speakers on, and I can hear the sound Windows makes when it starts up. So I know for sure that Windows is running fine. I tried to follow the steps to change the settings using this computer, but it hasn't gotten me anywhere. Obviously, things aren't working out on my computer exactly as they are on this one. As for the Windows CD, don't I need to be able to see what I'm doing in order to do that? I tried putting one in, but nothing happened.

Collapse -
Just tried this and it seemed to work.
by caktus / January 5, 2007 6:11 PM PST
In reply to: Yes

Except I didn't actually finalize the disabling of my Monitor. Since you can't actually [see] what's going on I suggest if you even think that you've made a mistake that you just stop and start over from the beginning.

1. Using the power button, restart the computer.

2. Press the Windows key

3. Press the r key

4. Type "devmgmt.msc" exactly with out the quotes

5. Press the Enter key

6. Press the Tab key

7. Press the down Arrow key 10 times (may be different for your systems configuration + or - 1-3 key strokes)

8. Press the right Arrow key

9. Press the down Arrow key

10. Press the Enter key

11. Press the d key

12. Press the up Arrow key

13. Press the Tab key

14. Press the Enter key

15. Press Alt+F4

16. Restart the computer. (If the monitor did not already come on then use the the power button)

Hope it works out.

Charlie

Collapse -
On the right track
by topher1723 / January 6, 2007 2:17 AM PST

OK, I tried this. I can hear the computer thinking every time I open up the Device Manager and every time I hit enter to open up something on the Device Manager. However, I'm still not getting anywhere. After I finish the step of hitting enter after hitting up, it does nothing. I would think I'd hear a sound from Windows prompting me to restart. Also, what exactly does Alt+F4 do? I tried it and it doesn't do anything either.

Collapse -
reply to: On the right track, but....
by caktus / January 6, 2007 7:06 AM PST
In reply to: On the right track

I shouldn't have suggested Alt+F4. Alt+F4 actually shuts down what you were working on in the event you wanted to start over. And even then now that I think about it, it's probably a good idea [not] to use it for that but to actually reboot to make sure every thing is [completely] starting over.

So I'd try it over again with out the F+4.

Sorry about that. Blush

Collapse -
No
by topher1723 / January 7, 2007 7:34 AM PST

Well I tried your way again, pushing down 9, 10, 11, and 12 times and doing it a couple of different ways. I still haven't gotten anywhere with it. Am I right in thinking that when Windows prompts me to restart to make the changes, it plays a sound? I have not heard one yet, so I'm thinking that I must not be doing the right combination. I can tell that something is happening when I type in devmgmt.msc, and I can also hear something going on when I press enter after doing the 9-12 down arrows. It is just after that point, I don't seem to get anywhere. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
RE: Any suggestions?
by caktus / January 7, 2007 9:39 AM PST
In reply to: No

Well, Chris. I know you don't want to reinstall the OS, but it's beginning to look as if that's about all that's left. Since you can't get into Safe Mode, the only other thing I can think of is to try reinstalling the monitor as a Plug and Play monitor. Even if it is not a Plug and Play, it may at least install with Windows generic drivers.

Turn the computer off.

Unplug the monitor from the computer.

Turn the computer back on and let it fully start.

Turn the computer off.

Plug the monitor back into the computer.

Turn the computer one.

Hopefully Windows will recognize and reinstall it as a plug and play or with generic drivers.

If this doesn't work and no one weighs in with other ideas, the only other thing I can think of is to reinstall the OS. Sad

Good luck.

Collapse -
Unfortunately, no
by topher1723 / January 7, 2007 12:15 PM PST
In reply to: RE: Any suggestions?

That didn't do anything either. You are right, I don't want to reinstall Windows. My hard drive crashed about a month ago, and I just got everything back on there a few weeks ago. I had some warning before that happened so I was able to save my important stuff. This time, I didn't get the chance to save. So I want to try every possible way I can before I have to do that. Would doing a System Restore do anything to help me? I didn't know if that would have any effect on the monitor setting I changed or not. If it would help, could someone post the steps I would need to take in order to blindly do that?

Collapse -
RE:System Restore
by caktus / January 8, 2007 7:54 AM PST
In reply to: Unfortunately, no

As you are working blindly, this too is just a shot in the dark.

The following keyboard shortcuts should do a System restore.

1. Press the Windows key.

2. Press the r key.

3. Type "%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe" exactly with out the quotes.

4. Press Alt+n.

5. Press the left Arrow key one time for each day since the problem began plus one (or two).
To backup to the previous month, after step 4 press Shift+(Tab Three times. Then press Enter. This should take you back to the last date a Restore point was created the previous month. But I don't know how to back to further previous restore points. Perhaps some one else can weigh in on that.

6. Press Alt+(n twice).

This should begin the System restore.

7. Press the Enter key after the System restore has completed.
In some instances I have known System restore to take as long as a half hour or longer. So you may want to wait a good spell before doing step 7.

Good luck.

Collapse -
System restore
by topher1723 / January 8, 2007 12:04 PM PST
In reply to: RE: Any suggestions?

Well....I worked through the System Restore steps and I did get my computer to restart, which was good news to me. I then waited for the restore to finish, Windows started, I pressed enter, and nothing changed. So apparently System Restore does nothing to help me with my problem. I did manage to blindly copy and paste some files that I wanted onto a flash drive. I was pretty amazed that I could do that, yet I've tried 20 different things to change the monitor setting and none have worked. This seriously can't be that hard, I just don't understand why I can't change the setting. Does anyone know of a way to get directly into the monitor properties without having to go through the Device Manager? I think if I could get directly there I would be able to do it.

Collapse -
reply to: Does anyone know....
by caktus / January 9, 2007 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: System restore

There may well be a way, but I can't find it.

The only way I can think of is Post 7 above, but with out step 15 (Press Alt+F4) of course. Other than that, to reinstall the OS, and a hard lesson learned.

Collapse -
reply to: Eh
by ron834 / January 5, 2007 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: Eh

Put in the factory made CD for windows and choose the repair option. If ou do not have that, then get a CD somewhere else. You need to buy one, unless you only reinstall windows after having a previous installation of the seme version, then return the cd to whomever u barrowed it from

-Ron

Collapse -
Another suggestion and question...
by PKsteven / January 8, 2007 1:54 PM PST
In reply to: Monitor problem

Did you do what Grif suggested? Hook up another monitor? Also, did you try to shut down the pc, unhook the monitor, start the pc, then shut it down, rehook the monitor and finally start up again. This has solved your particular issue before. Windows will see no monitor, then when you rehook the monitor and restart, it may reset and be detected\on. Just a "no pun intended" shot in the dark.

Paul

Collapse -
Yep
by topher1723 / January 9, 2007 2:12 AM PST

I tried that. I even tried it by hooking up a different monitor and a TV. Same results both times. This is really confusing me because it seems like the things that have been suggested should work, but nothing has. When I start up without a monitor, is there some window that pops up? I was just wondering if I had to press enter to anything or if Windows does everything by itself.

Collapse -
Not good
by PKsteven / January 9, 2007 12:45 PM PST
In reply to: Yep

Well, I can suggest this and no guarantees. If you can pull the Cmos battery , leave it out for a bit then put it back in and restart the pc, it may work. When my son got his graphics card, he chose not to use the device accidentally as well so I did the above and it worked but once again, no guarantee. The reason I say this is in this instance, the onboard video was shut off and not sure if this is your case.

Paul

Collapse -
(NT) Now, that may well work.
by caktus / January 9, 2007 4:04 PM PST
In reply to: Not good
Collapse -
I don't know
by topher1723 / January 10, 2007 12:55 AM PST
In reply to: Not good

First of all, I have no idea what the Cmos battery is, so you will have to elaborate a little on that one. Secondly, I don't believe my computer has onboard video, so I don't know what to think.

Collapse -
Two ways to reset the CMOS
by caktus / January 10, 2007 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: I don't know

One way is to:

1. Turn off and then unplug the computer.

2. Remove the cover. For convenience it is alright to set the computer on it's side.

3. Installed on the Mother board is a small disc battery. Much like the type of battery in many wrist watches.

4. Remove this battery. There is usually a small clip that holds it in place. This clip can be pushed back with a very small screw driver or some such tool. If the tool is metal, make sure you do not cross any circuits or contacts. While the clip is being held back use the same tool (or another) to pop the battery out. I recommend leaving the battery out for ten minutes or so.

5. Reinstall the battery, plug in then turn the computer.

The other way is to reset using the jumper.

Beside the battery is a small plastic jumper. Usually blue in color. This jumper is set on two of three metal pins (1 and 2 of 3). Using needle nose pliers remove the jumper from pins 1 and 2. And place the jumper on pins 2 and 3.

After ten minutes or so, reinstall the jumper on pins 1 and 2.

Since the jumper pins are very fragile, I figure it is safest to reset by removing and reinstalling the battery.

Collapse -
Sorry Caktus
by PKsteven / January 10, 2007 3:50 AM PST

Had I known you would post the instructions I would have left it be. Must have been at the same time. Wink

Paul

Collapse -
Thanks
by topher1723 / January 10, 2007 8:03 AM PST

Thanks guys for your help. Since I don't really know enough about that kind of thing, I'm not sure if I feel comfortable doing it myself as I've already screwed my computer up enough. I may try it but I'm not sure when I'll get around to it.

As for my video, I do have a video card. I said I don't believe my computer has onboard is because I don't see anything about it in the BIOS. If you told me specifically what I should be looking for in BIOS, I can tell you exactly if my computer has it or not.

Collapse -
Let's clarify...
by PKsteven / January 10, 2007 3:47 AM PST
In reply to: I don't know

Do you have a video card? Typically, depending if you built your system yourself most other pc MBs will have onboard video. It's typically a chip that uses about 64 mb ram for your video and when you shut off using it from windows it shuts the option off in the bios and you get no video. Now stay with me here, the Cmos battery is a little round battery , like a watch battery but about the size of a nickel on your motherboard. By pulling it, since you can't see your Cmos setup, you reset to default. Note: You must be properly grounded to the chasis\metal part of tower when doing this as with any pc repair and make sure you unplug the computer from the outlet first also. On the Motherboard, you will see this battery laying flat\sometimes standing upwards but held in a metal clip or plastic with metal prongs, you may have to gently push the prong in and pop the battery out. Leave it out for a bit, go watch a few commercials or something then put it back in remembering to ground yourself to the chasis. Oh yes, don't forget to remove the side pannel before taking out the battery, lol.

Paul

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?