Question

monitor & PC don't get along

I've baffled with this problem, and am desperate for suggestions. Unfortunately, I haven't found the right words to feed Google, so I'm trying here.

I've got a PC I built a few months ago. It was economical (aka cheap Laugh ) but this is just a basic email/etc. machine. I'm using the on-board VGA.

Here the thing. A couple days ago, the monitor just stopped working. I've plugged 2 other computers into this monitor and everything is fine. I've connected the PC to 2 other monitors, and everything is fine. Problem is when this CERTAIN computer is connected to this CERTAIN monitor. I get no video--can't even see the POST message, although it appears to be booting.

Monitor status light goes from amber (no signal) to a flashing green, so it's detecting something, but not happy with it.

Does this sound more like a bad video signal, and I can fix it with a video card? Or maybe a monitor that is getting more particular on it's signal as it dies? Open to suggestions!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: monitor & PC don't get along
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: monitor & PC don't get along
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Yes it is baffling.

Not much to work with my bet is the shop would be the next stop as given this much detail it looks like any guess would be just that.

If this was mine I may know all about the machine but here all I can suggest is to replace the video card.
Bob

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Look into...

Well, you found the combo just won't work. The only area to check is the setting. regardless, if it work before it doesn't now. If you play with setting and see if nothing it too far off, then go at it. However, since you already know other monitor or PCs with device in question can work, then you may simply move on to yet a different setup. Since you used the word "cheap", you now have the results of such. I would just install a video card and try that route.

CNET Forums