Desktops forum

General discussion

Monitor "Out of Range" at random intervals - help!

by redwall_hp / June 4, 2008 4:41 AM PDT

I have a machine with a Radeon x1300 video card in it (distributed by VisionTek). It's been fine since I installed the card about a year ago, but now there's something screwy going on.

When using the computer, the screen will, at random, go blank and display an "Out of Range" error. The computer continues to run, e.g. while watching video, the audio will continue to play even though nothing is on screen. The computer has to be hard-rebooted.

It's happening quite frequently. Several times a day, and it's pretty much made the computer unusable.

I did some searching, and it's led me to believe that the video card is the issue, since a few forums have said that when a monitor gives an Out of Range without warrant, usually it means the monitor isn't getting a signal.

I opened the computer up, blasted some of the dust out, and started it up. The fan keeps spinning when the monitor OORs, so it's not a cooling issue. I also tried swapping the monitor from port one to port two on the card, and it seemed to have fixed the problem at first, but no dice. It's still doing it.

Also note that the TV attached to the card's S-Videp out (the TV mirrors the main monitor for watching DVDs and streaming videos like Hulu) goes blank when the main monitor OORs.

Any ideas on what's wrong?

As I use this machine for watching DVDs, I'd like to find a solution. Netflix can be expensive if you're unable to watch and return discs. Grin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor "Out of Range" at random intervals - help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor "Out of Range" at random intervals - help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I had this Kaser ATI x1300
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2008 5:48 AM PDT

It did similar things like that. After a few too many instances I replaced the card and gifted that away. Never did find a cure short of replacement.

Collapse -
bought a new card
by redwall_hp / June 6, 2008 11:58 AM PDT

I took your advice and bought a new video card yesterday (an Nvidia this time), and it's working now.

I'll take a $100 video card over $1200 on a new computer any day... Grin

Collapse -
Glad to read you fixed it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2008 12:12 PM PDT
In reply to: bought a new card

I felt a little bruised over that card. Maybe it was buggy after all.

Collapse -
A Year
by redwall_hp / June 6, 2008 10:33 PM PDT

The Radeon card lasted about a year. I'm not sure how long the rest of the computer will hold together (it's about three years old, and exhibits some odd idiosyncrasies occasionally) though. I seem to have bad luck with electronic devices; they always seem to fail too soon. My last desktop computer failed two years after getting it...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?