PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Monitor not receiving signal

by SpicyItalian / November 30, 2004 4:47 AM PST

I have a HP Pavillion mx70 monitor on a HP Pavillion XT983. I had a power surge at home during a storm. The first time I turned it on, it was fine and then it just shut off. If I unplug the monitor from the back of the computer it will come out of standby mode and say check cable. I have hooked up another monitor to my computer and I get nothing. The computer will come on but I don't think it is booting up because the light doesn't keep flashing as if it's booting up. I have the stupid recovery cd's (although I don't wanna wipe out my computer) but the first step is turn the computer on and press F1 at the blue screen, you only have a few seconds. WELL I DON'T KNOW WHEN THE BLUE SCREEN APPEARS CAUSE THE MONITOR DOESN'T COME ON SO HOW CAN I!!! And I have certainly tried to just start pressing F1 after I turn it on and go through steps of re-whatever the BIOS but it hasn't worked because once again THE MONITOR DOESN'T COME ON SO HOW CAN I!!! Maybe I just shot the video card or something? Found directions to delete and reinstall the video card but once again THE MONITOR DOESN'T COME ON SO HOW CAN I???? Get the point Plain Sorry but I'm frustrated! Can some one please please please please help me?! Don't wanna take it to no "PC Dr" cause they're as expensive as me going to the Dr! THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor not receiving signal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor not receiving signal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Possibly your video card got zapped.
by Ray Harinec / November 30, 2004 7:09 AM PST

Have you opened the case and unplugged the video card and re-inserted it???

Calm down and lets do some logical troubleshooting. Re installing is NOT part of logical troubleshooting. The power surge may have done damage to more than one thing.

With the cover off and you hit the power button, what fans, drives, et al turn on or????

Give us some detailed symptoms. You could have lost part of the power supply.

Collapse -
Re: Possibly your video card got zapped.
by SpicyItalian / November 30, 2004 10:55 PM PST

I'm calm now Wink I had been searching the internet for a few days and getting no where.

I don't know what to unplug. I'm not computer savy in the department of hardware but a friend of mine may be able to help me do that. The fan in the middle by the power button comes on, however the fan behind the cd drive doesn't come on.

Collapse -
We know so little about your
by Ray Harinec / December 1, 2004 2:59 AM PST

computer that it is tough to help. Knowing the vintage of the system and what CPU and memory is used can be very helpful.

Does the CPU have a HSF on it [heat sink & fan]? That is the key fan to be rotating. The others should work also, but with no cooling for the CPU, the system may not boot or will shut down quickly.

Try your friend, if he could use some help have him work with you replying to this thread.

It may take some back and forth dialog but we usually find the cause. [and sometimes fix it. LOL]

Collapse -
Re: Monitor not receiving signal
by Michael Geist / November 30, 2004 7:23 AM PST

Diagnosing a no video scenario is a matter of stripping down the machine to its basic components (Motherboard/Power Supply/CPU/HSF/speaker). If you get no beeps the troubled hardware is one of the four. If you get any beeps you can add RAM, more beeps add video.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.