Desktops forum

General discussion

Monitor is SNAPPING!

I've had a Sylvania F90 19" monitor for about 5 or 6 years now, without any problems until this past month. Occasionally, a loud SNAP will will come from the monitor, and the screen will "jump" at the same time. Lately, the snapping sound has become very frequent, sometimes happening 7 or 8 times in quick succession! When this happens, I shut down the computer ASAP.
I asked a friend about this, and he suggested that I take the cover off and blow the dirt out. I removed the plastic cover and used some compressed air, but did not try to remove the metal shielding covering the components (and I won't remove it!). My friend said that a part might be going bad inside the unit.

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening to my monitor? I'd like to have some idea what is going on before I cart it off to a repair shop with no knowledge of the possibilites before I take it there.

Thank you in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor is SNAPPING!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor is SNAPPING!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Monitors can KILL you!

In reply to: Monitor is SNAPPING!

First, I must write that LETHAL VOLTAGES exist in the monitor years aften being unplugged.

If you go inside and kill yourself, you were warned and can't complain to me about it. (Love that sentance!)

--------------------------

The issue of arcing in TeleVisions (TVs) has been around for decades. It's usually as you suspect the buildup of dust or some conductive path that breaks down once in awhile. A good TV shop tech would know where to look and could clean the path up to give the TV/Monitor a few more months of service. But once the arcing starts, the pathways are laid down and the carbon that is deposited sets the eventual failure into an inevitable event.

Best of luck,

Be safe,

Bob

Collapse -
A Wild Guess

Since the flyback transformer produces about 30,000 volts to charge your crt face to direct the guns electron flow, that may be the problem. The flyback is coupled to the CRT by a thick insulated wire attached by a clip to a hole cast in the CRT. Sometimes the insulation breaks down on this thick wire due to heat and cracks in the insulation causes the voltage to jump to a nearby ground, or follows a dust trail to ground. Disassembly of the chasis to get to the wire and replace or re-coat maybe the answer. Warning, there is many capacitors that charge up and retain the voltage long after the set is shut down and will cause pain if touched. proper discharging of the set must be done before working on it.

A leaky capacitor can also cause the same snap, as well as the flyback transformer itself, so ther are quite a few posibilities. Generally a shop test will cost from 75-100 bucks with a replacement of the flyback at 80 bucks so you are looking at a possible 200 buck repair. Used 19in monitors in fair condition are selling at shows for aroud 100 bucks.

Norm

Collapse -
Re: Monitor is SNAPPING!

Since, it seems to work after the snapping, I *think* your wire from the tube to the HV pot has leaked(its the wire coming from the top of the tube, usually red in color(sparkplug size)). What that means is the wire covering has broken down and the voltage literally jumps to the nearest contact, not good. Check for "tracking" a telltale sign sign of discharges and/or discolored wire with a small hole. This is serious stuff and while you can inspect it, I thought you could fix it w/o possible harm. That voltage is stored for a llllllooooonnnnnggg time and takes awhile to discharge after power off. -OR- a componet on the monitor bd. is breaking down. In either case, repair or replace is your choice. If any warranty, use it.

Blowing out dust may help as dust cruds can allow a path for discharges or shorts to develope. The voltages are in the 50,000+ range, so all due care.

good luck -----Willy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.