General discussion

Monitor internet downtime...

Sep 4, 2005 6:11AM PDT

During the times I'm at home on my computer, I enjoy my hobby of recording the dates and times when my cable internet connection goes down. Now I would like to take it a bit further by finding a program that will perform my hobby even when I'm away from my computer. Then, at the end of the month, I'd be able to take the logs of my hobby to my cable company and show that their service is actually lousier that I am currently aware of. Might someone know of a program capable of logging the dates and times an internet connection goes up and down, thus enabling me to add more nails to the coffin?

Thanks in advance,
John

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Monitor internet downtime...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Monitor internet downtime...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Nothing I know of John
Sep 5, 2005 5:37AM PDT

Perhaps others here will have heard of something.

Mark

- Collapse -
Net Uptime Monitor logs every connection failure
Nov 18, 2011 11:54PM PST

Net Uptime Monitor does exactly what you want! Get it at http://www.netuptimemonitor.com This simple program continuously tests your outgoing internet connection and writes a plain text log of every failure - both the start time and the length of the down time. It accurately detects failures of just a few seconds.

- Collapse -
Please don't delete this.
Nov 20, 2011 9:25PM PST
- Collapse -
Expecting a reply to this in 2021
Jul 25, 2016 5:19PM PDT

Wow and here i am 5years after you finding this useful link too! Thanks guys from the past

- Collapse -
Keep this thread going for this monitoring solution!
Aug 19, 2016 1:34PM PDT

Me too. Very useful to use netuptimemonitor. Worth the $9.95 license.

- Collapse -
Ping DNS server to monitor internet connection.
Aug 23, 2016 2:41AM PDT

Press (Window + R) to open run and command "ping -t 8.8.8.8" in this example 8.8.8.8 is a google DNS server. it will continuously ping until you press (Ctrl + C) to stop it.

in this way you can monitor your internet downtime with ping dns server if your internet will not work ping with show you.

if you see a message like: reply from 8.8.8.8

it means your internet connection is down.

CNET Forums

Forum Info