Computer Help forum

General discussion

Monitor help! Brand new Gateway FHD2400 turned green!

by pryce27 / December 12, 2007 2:32 PM PST

Please, some help... Gateway has no idea what's going on...

I have a new FHD2400 monitor. It has been working great with my computer, connected by DVI. I just added a Toshiba HD-DVD player today, and connected it to the monitor using an HDMI cable. I used the imput select to switch over to the HD-DVD and watched a movie, no problems. When I switched the input back to DVI (my computer), however, the screen comes back with a very prominent green tint to everything!! This doesn't go away, I have tried resetting the monitor, unplugging and replugging all plugs, even replaced the entire monitor only to have the exact same thing happen.

Please, any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor help! Brand new Gateway FHD2400 turned green!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor help! Brand new Gateway FHD2400 turned green!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Willy / December 12, 2007 7:38 PM PST

What happens upon a reboot and no HD-DVD connected(fully removed)?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by pryce27 / December 13, 2007 1:52 AM PST

Thanks for the reply Willy.

Yeah, I completely disconnected the HD-DVD (HDMI) and restarted everything, but still have the green tint.

It seems that blue is completely gone from the color palette - when I go to the RGB settings, red looks pink, green looks neon green, and blue looks black (like there is no blue).

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Collapse -
Abit more
by Willy / December 13, 2007 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: reply

I suggest you check the video setting. You have either ATI or Nvida chipsets, so use thier own s/w to check that. In the control panel find display icon, then click on it. You can quickly enter that same area, by rt. clicking on an empty desktop area of display. Now, find the "advance setting" use the troubleshoot or the vendor s/w to setup. if after all this it still fails to clear, then you may have a defective monitor, use warranty or if within vendors return policy, quickly use to replace, most are in 15day or 30day, before you have to use the factory warranty.

Here are my guesses, if not some setting:

1) bad cable/bent pin
2) defective monitor
3) overdriven by pass setting
4) video card not 100% capable

What happens if you use the FD2400 with HD-DVD alone no pc? Direct connection possible? What are the results?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Even more
by Willy / December 13, 2007 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: Abit more

I should have mentioned, just try on another system, what are the results? Alas, if not updated, get the latest drivers for your video port/card. This will also contain usually the latest testing s/w as well. Another area to test with is using MS own DXDIAG. At the run cmd. type DXDIAG and then follow prompts. Its quick and easy, if the greem tint remains it will muddle the tests display there too. -----Willy

Collapse -
by pryce27 / December 13, 2007 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: Even more

Thanks for replying.

I have a nVidia GeForce 7900 graphics card, and everything was working just peachy with the monitor until I switched to HDMI input and back to DVI - then, everything green and nothing seems to bring it back to normal. I tried fussing with the GeForce software (to no avail) but I will re-try your suggestion when I return home today.

I know it is not a defective monitor or defective cable, since I have replaced both, and had the same thing happen. The video card drivers are current, and the monitor worked fine with the card until I switched to HDMI and back to DVI.

Yeah, the HD-DVD is directly connected to the monitor (by HDMI), and it works just fine.

What does overdriven by pass setting mean?

I will hook up the monitor to my friend's computer tonight. I will try DXDIAG as well. Thanks for your suggestions. If you think of anything else let me know.

Collapse -
Last thoughts
by Willy / December 13, 2007 12:58 PM PST

Under setting be sure that the FDH2400 is actually listed and as well as the video card. That way the system uses the best performance for each rather than defaulted MS setting, in other words its "fine-tuned". Over-driven is possible if you manually set a setting that's not supported like 70Hz vs. 60hz., sometimes the video card supports it but not the monitor, but is good enough to try and fails later as it used beyond its true native setting. -OR_ a monitor setting is so high it blew out that control, like brightness, etc.. Plus, with Nvidia setting, you set the TV/Video setting, did you mess with that? Last thoughts, the sync of the video signal is hosted by green is used as a reference. Many times on fancy rigs a blank blue screen is displayed showing you got the port but not the proper setting. Remember, if nothing seems to correct the issue you're having, return the monitor for your money back then proceed with another different brand monitor or model. It's not working now, it did but not now, so you have a problem, I tend to believe on h/w side, it failed.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Fixed the problem
by b.nott / June 2, 2008 1:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Last thoughts

Hi. I just wanted to let you know that I had the same problem you were having, but my screen turned red instead of blue. I fixed it by going through the monitor settings and resetting everything to factory default. You do this by going to the menu (the touch one on the side of the monitor) hit main menu then scroll down to reset. It fixed all of my problems, and I hope it fixes yours too.

Collapse -
Same EXACT issue
by cassanego / August 11, 2008 12:22 AM PDT

Hi Pryce27,

I know this is almost a year after you had this problem. but the problem you are describing is EXACTLY the same thing that happened to me. The monitor was working perfectly, i set it up with HDMI to a blu-ray player, switch back to DVI and *poof* all i get that green tint Sad

If you get this, i would really, really appreciate any pointers on what i can do to get this fixed.

Collapse -
screen resolution and refresh rate
by Aragorn37 / August 11, 2008 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Same EXACT issue

I seen a posted reply earlier that talked about the refresh rate and resolution. When you switch to HDMI the settings change, thus to switch back to DVI I would suggest checking to make sure the refresh rate is set at a point to where that it is compatible through DVI. I would suggest doing this through HDMI then changing the setting but selecting "make changes after reboot". Then switch back to DVI and start up. I hope this fixes the problem.

Collapse -
Just happened to me!
by fasciN8ing / August 12, 2012 10:33 AM PDT

Did you ever figure this out? I ended up buying a new graphics card thinking that was the problem and now I'm out the cost of the graphics card:( Did you ever get your monitor to work again? I'm not sure how to proceed. All I did was plug my DSLR (Nikon D800) directly into the HDMI port to view some images on the screen and when I switched the input back to DVI everything was Pink & Green! This is soooo annoying and I haven't found a solution. I attempted to reset all settings etc. etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Collapse -
Happened to me, too
by rje49 / August 14, 2012 10:21 AM PDT

The culprit was, believe it or not, the cable. I just got a new cable from Newegg; made to connections, turned it on, everything was green. Tried a different monitor; same thing. Definitely the cable. Try a different cable. you never know...

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?