Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Monitor has been going black...3 times today

HP broadband connection Windows XP Sp2
remember we thought it may have to do with memory? But, it has done it 3 times now today...so...is it memory? Is it the monitor? I checked the cables to and from the monitor..they seem fine...is it something I have no clue about???? I need to some someone who can come here and check this out.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor has been going black...3 times today
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor has been going black...3 times today
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: monitor black

In reply to: Monitor has been going black...3 times today

Probable causes:
1. Monitor bad. Try another monitor and see if it works correctly.
2. Video card bad. Try another video card (that's much more work than a monitor!)
3. Power-saving settings. Those should only apply if it goes black after a certain time (15 minutes, 30 minutes, whatever the setting is) of inactivity. You don't tell about that, so I thought I'd mention the possibility. There's nothing wrong with a monitor going black if you don't use the machine for a certain time.

Kees

Collapse -
not the settings

In reply to: Re: monitor black

I was using it and it just went black..now this morning..I turned on the computer and turned on the monitor...( I shut the monitor off whenever I am not using..even when I put in standby) the screen came up then went black...I had to turn off the monitor and turn back on for it to come back up....ahhhh...I really appreciate everyone here who helps us

Collapse -
Then It's Time To Test With...

In reply to: not the settings

...a different known "good" monitor per Kees' suggestion above.. We've had a number of LCD monitors which show the symptoms you've reported just prior to dying completely..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif

In reply to: Then It's Time To Test With...

thanks much...If I have to buy a new monitor AND memory...where is the best place/ I know I can get from HP but I will most likely pay much more...right??

Collapse -
I Check For Local Retailers And..

In reply to: Grif

..from online locations such as those below:

Specifically for memory:
http://www.crucial.com/

For all other things computer:
http://www.newegg.com/

http://www.geeks.com/

http://www.tigerdirect.com/

Frequently, our local retailers, BestBuy, Circuit City, Office Depot, etc. will offer a better deal than others.. Basically, I shop around for such things. For example, I recently purchased a 22" widescreen, 2 ms, 3000-1 contrast, LCD monitor for $229 at BestBuy and it was cheaper than I could find anything comparable elsewhere. It's no longer on "sale" though.. Sorry..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Monitor going black:

In reply to: Monitor has been going black...3 times today

I have a window xp also. / Home edition. / Full package deal. / But
in approx: 11 months. / The monitor did not go black, but went completly white. / I had a computer tech come to the house and checked
the monitor,cpu, the whole nine yards. / He told me the monitor was
shot. / But everything else was good. / So I up-graded from a 17" to a 19". / For me, the monitor seemed a better quality than what came with the window xp package. / Do you remember the old tube type television sets. / Your proably to young. / But when the picture tube was about to go out. The picture would get smaller and smaller and darker. / Until there was only a light dot on the screen. / And the next time you turned the TV on. A full screen at first. But then the process would start all over. An idication that the screen."or in your case",the monitor is going out. / Good Luck! I maybe over the hill. But I'm not under it. /////////////////Charley.

Collapse -
Charley

In reply to: Monitor going black:

I do remember that..I was a child then..but I still know those tv's. I have a 19 inch.."package" deal..maybe I will upgrade to a 22 in and get a better one..thanks.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.