Computer Help forum

General discussion

Monitor has an annyoing flicker/vibrate

by Hendlefe / March 22, 2007 4:41 AM PDT

I have a Viewsonic VG2030wm series monitor running at 1680x1050 resolution at 32 bit color quality. I have 2 NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT graphic cards as well. My problem is that the letters on my screen seem to vibrate or flicker. The funny thing is, images do not flicker. My trash bucket for the recycle bin does not flicker or virbrate but the letters "Recycle Bin" appears to flicker/vibrate.
The flickering is pretty subtle (I dont think the letters are moving but just flashing). Right now, these letters I'm typing are flashing, but the other letters on this site, such as "Today on CNET" "Reviews" "News" and "View profile" are not flashing. The letters for my firefox browser like "File, Edit, View, History, etc" are flashing.

How do I fix this? Is my monitor broken?

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor has an annyoing flicker/vibrate
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor has an annyoing flicker/vibrate
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Certainly sounds busted and since it's new stuff.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2007 4:45 AM PDT

Time to call it's maker to see if they'll exchange it. The big lesson for most is to not live with misbehaving machines and devices that are under warranty. You wouldn't fix your car yourself under warranty either.

Bob

Collapse -
what i'd do
by Hollow06 / March 22, 2007 7:40 AM PDT

I would double check all my connections, then move to the drivers and make sure they are all updated...even re-installing them might work.

You should toy around with the display settings you have, Experiment a little bit. Expecially make sure you do diff combinations..like for me 800x600 16bit color with 70 hertz, then 800x600 32 color with higher then lower.

I dont' know what model that is but try a deguase if that is even an option with that type of monitor.

Then see if your comp is an onboard vid and try that

Then try ur monitor on a diff comp.

If that all fails, then i would send it back if possible.

Collapse -
Same monitor, same problem
by State606 / May 7, 2007 7:07 AM PDT

I just got the same monitor (was a gift), and have an identical problem. For some reason, going into monitor setup and switching "Analog/Digital" makes the flicker go away... for a couple minutes. Starts right up again soon, though, and causes a bad headache. Any fixes would be appreciated, as I don't want to have to send it back right after it was bought.

Collapse -
Send it back.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2007 7:13 AM PDT

I don't see anyone with a fix so back it goes.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.