Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Monitor has Amber Light

by simpson / November 4, 2005 11:18 PM PST

Hey guys. I haven't been here in a while due to the fact busy and figuring the the issues. I have a question. I am currently working a on compaq presario 7922, Win 98 not sure on the processor because its not mine. The problem is the monitor displays nothing. As soon as you boot the machine the the green light flashes and then turns amber. I figured that the intergrated vid card went back because the monitor works on other machines. I install an extra vid card I had but this didnt fix the issue. So I dig a little deeper. I check the power supply just to make sure the system is getting the power it needs and it does. So the power supply seems to be ok. I noticed that the keyboard lights doesnt light up as the system boots up (system boots up == all cables connected and fans/tower lights are fine). Now the issue could be a mobo problem, but I'm not 100% sure on this. This is just another thing that it may be. Speaking of the lights not flashing, whenever I unplug the keyboard while the system is on, you can see the keyboard light come on and then right back off. So it seems that the mobo is "somewhat" working. I also suspected the Hard Drive because the windows logon doesnt sound when booting guess the sound is not muted because the user never mutes the sound. Back to the keyboard, I also tried holding hold a key during the bootup to see if it would get a keyboard error.

That about all the things i have tried. Can anyone give any suggestions or what youe think.
thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor has Amber Light
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor has Amber Light
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"The problem is the monitor displays nothing." means...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2005 12:01 AM PST

It's not a Windows 95/98 issue. The hardware has a fault you need to repair. You can try another display or computer to see which part it is.

Bob

Collapse -
Not monitor issue
by simpson / November 5, 2005 12:16 AM PST

Hey, Its not the monitor. I have tried the monitor on 2 diifferent machine and it works fine. I also tried another monitor on the machine that has the issue and the same thing happens. Thats why I replace the video card.

Collapse -
"Thats why I replace the video card."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2005 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: Not monitor issue

What you appear to be asking is:

"How do I learn to repair computers?"

There are courses and fine books on the subject, but in this machine case you swap out parts with known good ones till you find the bad part.

If the machine is not beeping I take it down to CPU/heatsink/fan, power supply, motherboard and speaker. If I still have no beeps, I'm down to those 4 parts.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
lol.
by simpson / November 5, 2005 12:29 AM PST

Well I guess I can. But i know its not the speakers, Power supply, fan, memory. I have checked everything expect the cpu and mobo. By the way, I know how to work on computers. I was just trying to get some suggestions.

Collapse -
Then it's the CPU or motherboard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2005 1:01 AM PST
In reply to: lol.

That's great clues.

As to the speakers, I really did mean "speaker". The one inside the computer case. If it doesn't beep with just those 4 parts, you know it's in those 4.

Bob

Collapse -
by simpson / November 5, 2005 1:16 AM PST

It has too be. Why wouldnt the keyboard light flash. Whenever I boot up the machine, the keyboard isnt recognized. Like I said before, I held down a key hoping to help the keyboard error. The other thing that is strange is.. why does the keyboard light come on if you plug it in while the machine is on.?

Collapse -
why does the keyboard light come on if you plug it in while
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2005 1:32 AM PST
In reply to: .....

"why does the keyboard light come on if you plug it in while the machine is on.?"

Because that's what it does. Even on working machines. Sorry, but that is a dead end clue.

Try another machine with CPU/Motherboard and move all the parts there.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry, but that is a dead end clue
by simpson / November 5, 2005 5:26 AM PST

"Sorry, but that is a dead end clue"
I know all keyboards do that. What i mean is, why will the light flash when I plug in in while the machine is on but when I press the numlock key the light doesnt come on or when the machine boots.

Collapse -
Since you want to know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2005 5:38 AM PST

The PC keyboard has a small CPU in it. It's a varient of the Intel 8051 and executes a small amount of code when the power comes up. The effects can be changed if you want but that's why it does what it does.

There are situations where people have overtaxed power supplies and the rise time of the +5V is such that the keyboard CPU does not boot proper. It's a repeating issue which is easy to sniff out by downsizing the machine to basic parts.

Hope this explains and helps.

Bob

Collapse -
Recap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2005 1:02 AM PST

After you writing a little more, here's one idea. MEASURE THE MOTHERBOARD CMOS BATTERY. Or just replace it. Some machines will not boot when it gets too low.

Bob

Collapse -
battery
by simpson / November 5, 2005 1:30 AM PST
In reply to: Recap.

Didnt work either.

Collapse -
battery? I don't think so!
by taboma / November 5, 2005 1:43 PM PST
In reply to: battery

Simpson, I had a monitor that gave me problems just as you described. My solution was to hold the start monitor button in until the damm green light went on. A simple click did not work: AMBER!
Hold the start button in for a while until GREEN.
It is a monitor problem with the switch. Not anything else. Doesn't work the first time for you, try it a few more times shutting off the monitor and restarting the cranky boob-tube!
Try it. May work for you as it did for me.

I sent myself a THANK YOU GOD!!!? when it worked for me with a brand new Viewsonic monitor trying everything including receiving a new replacement monitor that did the same thing. Funny how things work and how easy it is to fix using your finger instead of replacing hardware.

Let me know if my solution works for you.
See my profile and send me your results via email as well as posting.
The last time I was here in this forum was a month ago. You know, I should really get back here more often.

I check on Computer Newbies all the time. HINT! :

Collapse -
This is for kevin and whoever else wants to help
by simpson / November 6, 2005 12:33 AM PST
In reply to: battery

NA, That did not work. Its funny because the keyboard lights doesnt flash in the POST (assuming it is getting that far.) Can't hear because it doesnt have a mobo speaker. Tried connecting headphones but still cant get anything.

Collapse -
This is?
by taboma / November 6, 2005 9:09 AM PST

Simpson. Try reinstalling the monitor software again. Drives you nuts, doesen't it when you have a new monitor and it will not turn on. Try holding in the start button again. Nothing works? Send the monitor back and get a replacement. Send them a letter with your concerns. Keep a copy and if nothing can be resolver, send your letter and all email print-outs to your credit card company.
You may get credit. What a bummer!
-Kevin

Collapse -
Install Monitor??
by simpson / November 6, 2005 10:10 AM PST
In reply to: This is?

How can I? I can see nothing. BTW this isnt a new machine nor a new monitor. One day it just didnt show anything.....

Collapse -
AMD K6-2 500-550 mhz, 100mhz bus
by reefurbb / November 5, 2005 5:11 PM PST

is the most I can find about this unit, since you won't look inside. Can't find user guide. Points:
1. with no other components than CPU, RAM, power supply, mobo, vid card...and won't boot mobo...
2. RAM out...no mobo beep(if it has mobo speaker)
3. power supply seems to work but you haven't measured the 5v signal voltage needed to power on...this isn't the regular 5v hi amp supply..
4. getting a split second flash seems to show some power attempt...
5. you either have no 5v signal (very low amps)
or the cpu is bad or the mobo is bad.
6. if a socket 7, you can stick in a PI 166-200mhz, but check mobo first for jumpers, otherwise it's an auto recog....as you won't want to shell $60 for a new CPU. I've had a few AMD K6-xxx that were bad, started making errors and finally wouldn't boot.
6.5 you've tested RAM in another unit???
7. I used to know a place that would sell ($500) an ISA card, self powered, that would diagnose a mobo, even dead.

Collapse -
OK.
by simpson / November 6, 2005 12:18 AM PST

Ok. I'm going to try some more stuff. This still doesnt explain why the num lock keyboard light will not flash after pressing it(when the machine is on). Thats what brought a conclusion of the mobo being bad but maybe not. What do you thi nk?

Collapse -
Here's what I do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2005 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: OK.

I swap out the motherboard and CPU and retest. However your power supply could be at issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Power supply
by simpson / November 6, 2005 10:06 AM PST
In reply to: Here's what I do.

I will try to get another power supply and test it.

Collapse -
Power Suppler Not a probelm
by simpson / November 6, 2005 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: Power supply

I havd tried a power suplly that i know works and it didnt resolve the issue. Sad

Collapse -
just a couple of thoughts
by jonah jones / November 5, 2005 8:10 PM PST

does the monitor work on another machine?
have you tried booting to DOS (command prompt) or Safe mode?
will it boot from a floppy to A;?

Collapse -
hmm
by simpson / November 6, 2005 12:15 AM PST

Yes. I have tried all that.

Collapse -
safe mode
by simpson / November 6, 2005 12:28 AM PST

Na, cant do that because the keyboard isn't recognize. The keyboard lights doesnt flash in the bootup

Collapse -
just a couple of thoughts
by taboma / November 6, 2005 9:27 AM PST

Jonah, would it be worth it to re-install windows?
Here is a really whacked-out question for you. He is also having problems with his keyboard. Could a keyboard issue effect the monitor? Why is he having keyboard and monitor problems together?? Hardware or software issues!

-Kevin

Collapse -
The Keyboard Issue
by simpson / November 6, 2005 10:05 AM PST

The reason I brought up the keyboard issue is because it connects to the motherboard and so does the integrated video card. Thought it may be a motherboard issue. I am going to try and get my hands on another power supply and test it.

Collapse -
Re-install Windows
by simpson / November 6, 2005 10:08 AM PST

I thought about that, but i decided to test the HD on a different machine. It actually brought up the compaq screen...... So it shouldnt be windows. Should it?

Collapse -
People, pay attention...
by reefurbb / November 6, 2005 11:35 AM PST
In reply to: Re-install Windows

If mobo won't fire up, won't POST (power on self test),
1. keyboard won't light,
2. Floppy drive won't work,
3. CD drive won't work,
4. DOS boot not possible,
5. Safe mode not possible,
6. W98SE install not possible....OK???
Homer (Simpson), add a CPU fan plugged into a mobo plugin, just loose. The point is that the fan won't run if the mobo won't start, proving you have a RAM-CPU-mobo problem.
Yes, you can swap out the mobo if you can find-afford one BUT Compaq is "proprietary", so good luck...generic mobo's won't fit-work.
Try a different RAM stick (PC100). If no help, then it's the processor or mobo.
Some repair shop might not charge much for checking it (if they have something old around).

Collapse -
Hello
by simpson / November 6, 2005 8:21 PM PST

I have tried swapping the ram out. This doesn't fix the issue. Whenever i boot it up, everything sounds normal. Fan is runnning, lights(tower) are on blinking and such. I just wish the thing had a mother board speaker so i can hear sound. I used my headset but then not sure if its not muted.? lol.

Collapse -
Is that headphone connected to the motherboard speaker?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2005 9:26 PM PST
In reply to: Hello

That sound is not on most audio jacks.

It seems you are wishing for it to work. That is, you seem to be unwilling to change out the last few untested parts.

Bob

Collapse -
Last resort . . .
by pearljamkornfan / November 7, 2005 1:48 AM PST

Well, as much as it seems that your motherboard has failed, I'd seriously consider purchasing a new system. You can get a decent e-machine (most likely newer than yours) with an Operating System (most likely winxp) for 300 or less sometimes after rebates. If you dont want to shell out that much, see if you can find an older machine on ebay and install your hardware and windows on it. Good luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?