PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Monitor flickering when online

Monitor flickers and jumps but only when I am online --
It does not do it all the time, but often enough to make being online unpleasant. I have a 19" ViewSonic LCD. This began about a month ago after 1 1/2 years without a problem. I have checked with ViewSonic and they do not think it is the monitor. I have checked with Dell and they do not think it is the Video card. I have checked with AOL and they dunno. My settings are those recommended by ViewSonic. There have been no recent changes made to the system. I removed a desk lamp that I thought might be causing interference. I have a feeling it might be a problem with AOL -- does that make sense? Appreciate any suggestions.

Miki

Dell Dimension 8250 2.66GHz
512MB PC1066 RDRAM
64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4 TI 4200 Graphics w/TV-Out
80GB 7299 RPM Ultra ATA Hard Drive
AOL/DSL

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor flickering when online
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor flickering when online
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Monitor flickering when online

In reply to: Monitor flickering when online

This sounds like a hardware problem, not software. This is the type of problem you see from a bad video card or monitor, and hardware does fail.

You need to try the monitor on another system and see how it works. You need to try a different monitor on your system and see how it works. There is no other easy way to troubleshoot this type of problem.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Monitor flickering when online

Thank you for your reply. I do not have access to another computer or a different monitor -- that is what is making this so tough to troubleshoot. ViewSonic also suggested I try another computer and also suggested a bad video card. The monitor and the computer are not yet two years old. I might just call Dell and talk them into replacing the video card. I have four-year warranty with them.....

Miki

Collapse -

In reply to: Monitor flickering when online

This is a wild guess. Move the DSL connection device which I suspect could be a Network Card to another slot. Your post didn't detail the machine in enough depth for me to tell if you had a network card or if it's onboard. But I offer a simple idea that is easy to try.

Bob

Collapse -

Thank you, Bob -- I tried your suggestion, but that did not change anything. I think the thing to do is to call Dell and tell them the video card is failing and get them to replace it --if that does not cure the problem I can report to ViewSonic that it is not the video card and go from there. ViewSonic has good support.

Miki

Collapse -

Problem solved. I had been looking for weeks for a newer driver for my NVidia card, but Dell did not have one for my version and I could not find a match on NVidia website........so I decided today to reinstall the drivers I had. Everything seems to be O.K. now. Dummy that I am, I probably should have done that in the first place before I began to run around in circles.

Miki (yes, I am blonde)

Collapse -

ADDENDUM --The monitor flickering and jumping began after AOL downloaded/installed one of their mysterious late-night upgrades that happen just at sign-off. I brought this up when troubleshooting with AOL's supposed tech support, but it meant nothing to them. I received information from Dell yesterday that "Software applications are not supposed to overwrite original video or sound drivers, but they do, and the result is often bad video quality."

Miki

Collapse -
Thank you for the update. And ...

AOL isn't alone on the driver toe stubbing. Microsoft has offered drivers via Windows Update.

Hint: Just say no.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Thank you for the update. And ...

In reply to: Thank you for the update. And ...

AOL does not give the chance to say no. It is force fed. It shows up during signoff and holds it up just long enough to do the deed and then the signoff is completed. Thanks for the tip on drivers via Windows Update -- I always say no, but now I can say it louder Happy

Miki

Collapse -
Seems to me..

In reply to: Re: Thank you for the update. And ...

...there should be some way to block changes to specific files.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.