Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

Monitor Document Access & Activity

by tmc1284 / May 24, 2015 3:08 AM PDT

I have a virtual assistant which I entrust with a document containing credit card information. I want to be able to monitor when they access the file and any activity such as copying/pasting or uploading the file. Is there any software that can do this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor Document Access & Activity
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor Document Access & Activity
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Windows did that for years.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2015 3:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
As to granular reporting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2015 3:31 AM PDT

So far, you have your assistant log such things. The OSes generally only report access but not what was read, changed to the file. If your VA app doesn't do logging, you should be reporting it as unsound, untrustworthy.
Bob

Collapse -
Monitor Uploading?
by tmc1284 / May 24, 2015 6:31 AM PDT

Is it possible for windows to prevent it from being uploaded or to at least allow me to see if it was uploaded? For example through email or a file transfer service?

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2015 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Monitor Uploading?

It's a PC and by design allows us and apps we install to pretty much have free reign. There are new ideas on this which you are seeing in iOS and Android where rights are more granular. Windows, it's a thing from the 1980s and what you are asking is counter to what a PC is/was all about.
Bob

Collapse -
Windows does have this firewall.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2015 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: No.
Collapse -
Firewall
by tmc1284 / May 24, 2015 8:16 AM PDT

With a firewall the person could just disable it because they are using their own computer. If an document application was built from the ground up is it possible that it could prevent documents from being uploaded itself?

Collapse -
Not really.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2015 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Firewall

Since it's still a PC, when I'm at the PC I can work around almost any contrived wall. Nothing to stop me from taking a pic with my phone or popping in some USB stick and carrying it out.

Let's cover a basic item here. It's a Personal Computer which at it's very soul is designed to be obedient to whoever is at the helm. Sometimes folk forget this basic item and what to lock down a PC. To do that means we really need to move away from a PC and create some appliance.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Why not tell all?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2015 8:30 AM PDT

As presented this has us spinning around what a PC is and the pretty new ideas about app permissions.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=app+permissions+android is a good primer on how another OS is starting to finely slice permissions. Windows is from decades ago so it's more of the old personal computer design.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
FileMon
by theNetnest / May 25, 2015 5:05 AM PDT

Not sure if its available any more.
Filemon for windows has a filter where you may set it to only display specific filename data for windows.
Its mainly a diagnostic tool and not an alarm.
Windows and most other modern OS systems have a file notification system call-back that notifies applications when a file changes so that a program will know if it's file was changed by another process.
Thing is its simple for a programmer to call, not so much a user.
The dumb thing is, there are a lot of demos for programmers out there that do just what you are talking about. Its just finding it for your operating system.
Best bet would be to search the OpenSource world for something like that to do something like show a pop-up dialog box.
This kind of applet would be on the OS level not the browser or network level.

Collapse -
Answer
FileMon replaced
by theNetnest / May 25, 2015 5:10 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!