General discussion

Monitor display says no signal after several hours being off

Not sure how to word the title.

Using an HP m9340f, 6 Gb RAM, Windows 7 home premium.
Monitor is Viewsonic 2230wm LCD.

The PC is set to turn off the monitor after 20 minutes of non-use, and usually a movement of the mouse will reactivate it within an hour or so.

But, after extended times of non-use, moving the mouse will not activate the monitor. It will display "no signal." Disconnecting the plug from the PC, reconnecting it, will not reactivate the display.

This prompted me to reboot (holding down the PC's power button). This will then reboot the PC normally, and the display is back to looking normally.

I don't see any instability while using the display, and the color/contrast continues to look normal.

Connections to the PC are good and tight.

Suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Monitor display says no signal after several hours being off
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Monitor display says no signal after several hours being off
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: no signal

That means the PC has turned-off somehow, possibly in a hinbernate state. Have a look in the energy-saving features of the Control Panel.

If you plan to not use the PC for several hours, it saves energy to put it in hibernate mode. With my XP that can be reached by pressing shift when shutting down. That changes the stand-by option to hibernate.

Kees

- Collapse -
no signal

I checked, and the power setting is for maximum performance. I'll try the hibernate mode, and see what happens. Thanks.

CNET Forums

Forum Info