Computer Help forum

General discussion

Monitor dims when reactivated

by danawenco / March 5, 2009 2:32 AM PST

Hi, my monitor has been dimming/turning pinkish when I reactivate it (moving my mouse for example) after the screen saver turns on, but it would return to normal after 10 - 15 seconds.

If I set the timer of the screen saver to 1 minute, I don't see the problem, but if I set the timer to be 10 minutes, I see the problem.

Is it likely to be my monitor or video card?

I have a 2 year old Toshiba laptop, using Vista. Thanks a lot.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor dims when reactivated
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor dims when reactivated
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's a well known issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 2:36 AM PST

The cause is technical and is known to happen in the later years of CCFL lights. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_cathode

DO NOT FIX THIS!!! DO NOT TAKE IT TO A SHOP COUNTER!!!

Just enjoy your monitor and give it a few seconds for the molecules to do their thing.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by danawenco / March 5, 2009 3:19 AM PST

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the link. So it looks like my monitor is reaching its "half-life". Does it help to set the timer of my screen saver to be more frequent? The monitor of my previous laptop died after 2 years as well so it must be me.

Thank you.

Dorothy

Collapse -
I don't think it matters.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 4:06 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Bob

The pink, red shift until the CCFL warms up is well known. It's actually easy to fix if you can get the parts and have a laptop that lets you change them but the repair has far too much risk to fix an issue that clears up in less than a minute.

I have this 10 year old Palm PDA that is worse yet I still use it and will never fix that even though I could. It's a fine thing to have around to demonstrate the issue.

Your choice on the settings but all one can do is to always power down CCFL tubes from DAY ONE. Once it pink or red shifts you can't undo it.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by danawenco / March 5, 2009 4:33 AM PST

Thanks again for your help Bob!

Next time I buy a laptop I will remember that.

When my current one does die I will probably follow the instructions on your link and try to replace the LCD as a learning exercise Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?