Computer Help forum

General discussion

Monitor connect to KVM got "Input Not Supported"

I did a search on this forum and couldn't find an answer to my problem ... so here I go Happy ...

I have an Acer X223W 22" monitor and Logictech wireless keyboard/mouse bundle. They had been connected to my XP desktop for the longest time and they worked fine.
Recently I purchased an Iogear 2 port USB KVM Switch (GCS42UW6 plug-n -play). The plan is to allow my work (XP) laptop share these devices when working from home.

This is what I've done:
- Shut down the desktop and laptop
- Connected everything to/from the KMV (I made sure there were no lose connections)
- PC1 = Desktop; PC2 = laptop
- Booted up my desktop; set KVM to point to PC1.

Result: Monitor displayed Windows logon screen with 'washed out'colour and flickering white vertical lines. The monitor also displayed an "INPUT NOT SUPPORTED" message.

- Booted up my laptop, setup KVM to PC2.
Result: Black Screen. Nothing happened.

The monitor's resolution is set at 1680 x 1050. The KVM can handle up to 2048 X 1536.

I know there's nothing wrong with my Desktop and the monitor because when I connected the monitor back to the desktop the issue was gone.

I also have a 4-port KVM switch. I tried it and had the identical problem with the monitor.

I will deal with my laptop connection right after the desktop/monitor issue's been resolved (one step at a time, right)?

I'm not very technical so your help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks very much!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor connect to KVM got "Input Not Supported"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor connect to KVM got "Input Not Supported"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I see an issue with DDC

In reply to: Monitor connect to KVM got "Input Not Supported"

1. The monitor is DDC
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=mozilla&q=Acer+X223W++ddc+ci

2. The switch asked for DDC2B
http://www.iogear.com/product/GCS42UW6/
"Max resolution: 2048 x 1536, DDC2B"

Since it's not compatible it may never work. There is one and only one setting I would try before returning the KVM. Ready?

On the X223W try setting DDC/CI to Off.
This is not an offer to step by step tell you how. You can research and read the manual for that.

Sorry to read that it may never work with this combination.
Bob

Collapse -
That explains it !! Thanks!

In reply to: I see an issue with DDC

Thanks very much for the research you've done on my issue, Bob. I will definitely try your suggestion first before returning the kvm switch. Will keep you posted.

Cheers,
B.

Collapse -
Turned off DDC/CI worked!

In reply to: That explains it !! Thanks!

Thanks Bob! It worked. I can use my monitor with the KVM switch now. Hooray!!!!

Collapse -
Good to read.

In reply to: Turned off DDC/CI worked!

Since this can revert to on again, I leave a cluepon on such devices. I get a yellow sticky note and write "DDC/CI ??" and tape that to the device's back or bottom for the day it was reset and I've forgotten that it needs that setting change.

Glad you fixed it.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.