Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

monitor blacking out?

by approachingevil / January 10, 2007 3:20 PM PST

I am using the monitor that my PC came with, it is a Metro 17". I know it isn't a great one but it is barely a year old. It has just started this thing where it is working just fine, and it goes black. It then takes about 4-6 times turning it on and off to get the screen back. I am running a HP Pavilion 512 MBX2 pentiom 4 processor 200GB hard drive. Windows XP.
Now my question is is this fixable and is it worth it? And how do I do it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: monitor blacking out?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: monitor blacking out?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First off..
by PKsteven / January 10, 2007 4:44 PM PST
In reply to: monitor blacking out?

There are a couple of things to check. First, turning it on and off may be a chance that it works but may be a bad cable or loose connection to the back of the pc. Make sure the cable is tight with the two screws into the back of the pc, then you can also move the monitor cable around a bit , usually by the end connection points into the pc and back of monitor, if it blanks out , the cable may have a short or slightly broken wire. As well, many people don't check the power cord. If it's the type that plugs into the monitor and is removable, just like the cord on the back of the pc, make sure it's tight into the monitor as it will only connect once in a while and turning it on and off will sometimes get a connection back albeit a loose one. Another thing to check is that you aren't accidentally hitting the power button, this has happened to some, lol. As well, do you have your power settings in windows to shut off the monitor after 15 -20 minutes, standby, or hybernate...to check, right click the desktop, properties, then click on screensaver tab, under it there is a monitor power setting, click "power" look at the first options to see if monitor settings are to shut off after time, if pc goes into standby after a time, then check hybernation and see if enabled as well. If none of these, also make sure you monitor cable isn't laying accross a power cable or where EMI "electro magnetic interference" is causing the monitor to black out. Also if CRT monitor, make sure no high magnetic sources are near it. If not, it's not unlikely the monitor could be going bad, every OEM i've owned , the monitor has gone out in a bit over a year. I now have a nice collection in my garage of the OEM monitor graveyard. If all else fails, check your warranty , usually 3 months to 1 year in home, or if you purchased extended you would be in great shape. That said, it would cost more to get it fixed or close than to buy another. Around my area , noone even works on monitors anymore, simply replace them. Hope this helps a bit.

Paul

Collapse -
Thank You!
by approachingevil / January 12, 2007 5:17 PM PST
In reply to: First off..

I have checked everything you have mentioned. And everthing is connected right and tight. But thank you for mentioning the warranty thing. We did buy the extended one ( 2 year one ). I hope I am covered for the monitor. Shouldn't be too hard to find out. I am one of those that likes to fix things myself. I hate having to take my PC out for servicing! LOL!

Collapse -
Monitors are hard lessons in repair
by Willy / January 11, 2007 12:38 AM PST
In reply to: monitor blacking out?

If this is a CRT type monitor and as you say, isn't the greatest, possibilty a cheap one, then you put your finger on it. All too often, cheap componets just outright fail or get weird and finally die. If this is a LCD type, maybe it backlighting is going out, if you crank-up the brightness and you then see a washed out display, its the LCD lighting or related ckts..

Overall, it really doesn't pay to fix a cheap monitor as results can vary too widely. But, its yours do what your skills allow you but beware of hi-voltages. Parts for either type can be difficult to get and be comparable to what you need, so again up to your gathering skills. As you offered, "how to do it", monitors are unique and if you don't have experience across alot of them, learning one doesn't pay off on the next unless you do dozens at a time. Decisions maybe best served in what your wallet can handle.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
monitor won't light up
by ImportGSM / January 11, 2007 4:48 AM PST

i'm working with a hewlett/paxkard windows 98 and i just brought a new video card my computer powers up but my monitor just won't come on what am i suppose to do.brought it because i have cnxer and can't work anymore so i was planing on working from here
what should i do soe please help.

Collapse -
Well going off your info...
by PKsteven / January 11, 2007 1:03 PM PST
In reply to: monitor won't light up

you installed the drivers right? Probably. So I am thinking you should first make sure your power supply is large enough to support the card, typically 300w or 350 "minimum" to run a newer graphics card. Your card may need an extra power source, did you check to see if a small cable running off it? However, it may not be supported by your motherboard if it's an old HP running 98 which is a high possiblility. And although I know this is outright obvious, make sure the card is inserted correctly, the connectors are clean, it's in the slot it's supposed to be in, don' t throw and AGP in PCI, yikes, make sure the slots were not dust ridden, make sure your power supplly is up to the card specs, it will tell you in the manual.

Paul

Collapse -
thanks for your reply.
by ImportGSM / January 11, 2007 9:03 PM PST

and i did all that my belieef now id that there maybe a short in the mother board so i'll just have to get a new one i'm glad for tigerdirect. so i might as well up grade everything and its good to know i can get help when i need it thanks again.

Collapse -
A possible cause
by Willy / January 11, 2007 9:28 PM PST
In reply to: monitor won't light up

I take it with win98 being used you have an older system. Just be sure the new video card is fully seated, reboot and recheck results. If it still doesn't work, return old video card or port and disable that old video card(uninstall drivers) and the port, disable in bios. Now if build-in video port, disable in the bios, make sure the new video card is installed. If you can't get into bios and new video card installed, remove it(power-off). Now, reboot, disable video port in bios and save upon exit when done, then shutdown. Install new card, it should see it upon boot-up if it still fails, you got one of two problems. The bios needs to be updated for a possible fix -OR- the mtrbd. chipset for video just won't let go, a problem with older Intel 81x and others. Plus if you have an OEM system like Dell, Compaq, etc. you may need the latest drivers for that old video port to better uninstall(yes, you do). Then, retry the above again and check results.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
tthanks
by ImportGSM / January 12, 2007 1:42 AM PST
In reply to: A possible cause

i want to thank you for your help i have been up all night with it and have decided to up grade the motherboard and everything else it was old anyway so if i have to work i'll work with the best. but really thanks for your help

Collapse -
Thanks
by approachingevil / January 12, 2007 5:22 PM PST

I am using a LCD monitor. I have noticed the prices for monitors has gone down quite a bit now. I was just hoping it would have lasted longer than just a year. Wishful thinking I guess! LOL! I was hoping that it might be a something I could do myself as in settings and such. I have tried everything you have suggested and still no luck. I guess I have to open the wallet again may be... the warranty will cover it.
Thanks again for your suggestions.
TC!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!