Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Monitor bandwidth use--need program

by stick joe / September 1, 2008 7:54 AM PDT

What is a good program to monitor bandwidth use? Comcast is setting a limit so I need something to monitor it for me.

I have Windows XP Service Pack 3 Home Edition.

And it needs to be able to monitor regardless of which browser I use, though I use Opera most of the time.

Thanx.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor bandwidth use--need program
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor bandwidth use--need program
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Make the call.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 8:37 AM PDT

"Time-Warner Cable is currently trying out metered service in Beaumont, TX. Their caps are lower, but they do provide one thing: a page you can go to in order to check your usage."

Comcast needs to give you a meter to read.

Collapse -
For many reasons
by Jimmy Greystone / September 1, 2008 8:41 AM PDT

For many reasons, just dumping Comcast in favor of some DSL provider in your area would be a very smart move. All the cable companies have vastly oversold access to their networks, and are dragging their feet about upgrading capacity. A lot of teleco companies are even offering digital TV these days in bigger markets.

That all being said, the bandwidth cap is 250GB/mo for Comcast, so unless you're a heavy P2P user, you're not likely ever going to come close to that amount in a month. If you are a heavy P2P user, I hope you just have a penchant for downloading Linux distributions or other legal content, otherwise a bandwidth cap might be the least of your worries.

As for your actual question, I don't personally know of any such program, but talk to Comcast. It seems perfectly reasonable to me, that if they're going to impose this arbitrary bandwidth limit on customers, that they should provide some means for customers to monitor their consumption rates. Odds are they'll have something similar to what cell phone companies have, where you log in to a website, and it gives you an estimate of your usage as of an hour ago or a day ago, or something like that. You might also want to look for some European or Australian forums where bandwidth caps have been a way of life for many years. Odds are, if such a program exists, someone there will know about them. By and large Cnet is a North American oriented company, and our friends from across the pond don't find their way here all that often, so you'll need to go to them.

Collapse -
Nope
by stick joe / September 1, 2008 8:48 AM PDT
In reply to: For many reasons

Comcast has nothing to offer to monitor use. See this ABC news article for Comcasts comments :

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=5689480&page=1

My sister is the one with the Comcast internet account and for now she's not switching but waiting to see if our use reaches this cap and what Comcast will do about it when it does. Personally I think it WILL reach this cap in about 2 months-like right now, I'm downloading season 11 South Park episodes (imagine the bandwidth that's sucking up!). So unfortunately we need to monitor our use till my sister realizes we'll suck it all up most months (which I predict).

Collapse -
(NT) Look at your other post.
by Coryphaeus / September 1, 2008 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope
Collapse -
Bit Meter
by brian619 / September 5, 2008 2:31 PM PDT

I use BitMeter...it has hourly, daily and monthy statistical data as well an option to alert you when you've reached you a certain amount of data uploaded or downloaded as well as a setting for ISP restrictions. It's only good per machine...so if you are using two different computers (desktop and laptop), you'll probably have to upgrade you router if you have a home network setup.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?