Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

monitor and restrict p2p on my small house network.

by thyscorpion / January 7, 2006 3:41 AM PST

we are 5 to 6 of us friends living together and are having a hard time fixing a time for p2p access as when softwares like bitcommet and limewire are on. they take up considerable bandwidth! someone or the other has his software on. to tackle this we have decided to place a software on the router or on a sigle machine connected to the router to allow downloads from p2p softwares only in the night..
is it possible?
need help asap!
any technical info needed to answer plz ask.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: monitor and restrict p2p on my small house network.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: monitor and restrict p2p on my small house network.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry, but I am locking this thread
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 7, 2006 4:09 AM PST

I appreciate that you are having a problem that is not fundamentaly associated with P2P, and that you have not necessarily indicated in your post what files you and/or your friends are downloading via P2P networks.

But, in general, it is the case that people who use Bitcomet and Limewire are doing so to download copyrighted files such as music, videos, and software without paying for it, and that is tantamount to piracy.

In your post you infer that your problem would be solved if you could limit downloads from your P2P software during the night. The evidence of what you say points to large files being downloaded during the night, and as such files are usually software programs and videos, I must suspect that these are the files being downloaded.

I therefore also suspect that such files are being downloaded without the approval of the authors, and that is piracy.

Please review CNET's forum policies, link on the left. CNET cannot give help and advice on matters that violate any laws or discuss illegal activities.

Therefore I am locking this thread.

If you believe I have erred in my judgement, please either send a report through the "Report Offensive Post" link, or email me through my profile.

Mark

Collapse -
For Joe_Smith
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 7, 2006 4:12 AM PST

Joe, I have deleted your post. Sorry.

My post above this one explains why. I accept you were not helping them in any way with P2P downloads, but your advice was, in any case, advice they could have used to perform their actions.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!