Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Mom Makes Daughter Stand on Street Corner

by Mark5019 / November 16, 2005 6:44 AM PST

Tasha Henderson got tired of her 14-year-old daughter's poor grades, her chronic lateness to class and her talking back to her teachers, so she decided to teach the girl a lesson.

She made Coretha stand at a busy Oklahoma City intersection Nov. 4 with a cardboard sign that read: "I don't do my homework and I act up in school, so my parents are preparing me for my future. Will work for food."

"This may not work. I'm not a professional," said Henderson, a 34- year-old mother of three. "But I felt I owed it to my child to at least try."

In fact, Henderson has seen a turnaround in her daughter's behavior in the past week and a half. But the punishment prompted letters and calls to talk radio from people either praising the woman or blasting her for publicly humiliating her daughter.

"The parents of that girl need more education than she does if they can't see that the worst scenario in this case is to kill their daughter psychologically," Suzanne Ball said in a letter to The Oklahoman.

Marvin Lyle, 52, said in an interview: "I don't see anything wrong with it. I see the other extreme where parents don't care what the kids do, and at least she wants to help her kid."

Coretha has been getting C's and D's as a freshman at Edmond Memorial High in this well-to-do Oklahoma City suburb. Edmond Memorial is considered one of the top high schools in the state in academics.

While Henderson stood next to her daughter at the intersection, a passing motorist called police with a report of psychological abuse, and an Oklahoma City police officer took a report. Mother and daughter were asked to leave after about an hour, and no citation was issued. But the report was forwarded to the state Department of Human Services.

"There wasn't any criminal act involved that the officer could see that would require any criminal investigation," Master Sgt. Charles Phillips said. "DHS may follow up."

DHS spokesman Doug Doe would not comment on whether an investigation was opened, but suggested such a case would probably not be a high priority.

and in a good neghborhood to
i think its ok made child toe the line
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/16/D8DTOAD8D.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mom Makes Daughter Stand on Street Corner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mom Makes Daughter Stand on Street Corner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Emotional abuse
by Sasha Tee / November 16, 2005 7:52 AM PST

Either the mother is blatantly stupid or she is abusive and there should be an investigation to find what other forms of abuse have been going on in that house.

Collapse -
not so
by Mark5019 / November 16, 2005 7:58 AM PST
In reply to: Emotional abuse

"There wasn't any criminal act involved that the officer could see that would require any criminal investigation," Master Sgt. Charles Phillips said. "DHS may follow up."

DHS spokesman Doug Doe would not comment on whether an investigation was opened, but suggested such a case would probably not be a high priority.

dhs dodnt think so so far.
and if she failed school i guess theres wellfare

Collapse -
We all have different parenting styles......
by Sasha Tee / November 16, 2005 9:40 AM PST
In reply to: not so

but it's my personal opinion that the mother was way off base and not mentally stable - if this is a true case. Humiliation and an attempt to destroy a child's self esteem and make her a laughing stock at school is not my idea of encouraging responsible behavior. I don't know why this reminds me of marching prisoners of foreign wars through the street when they're captured, but it does. And just because something isn't a criminal offense doesn't make it any less cruel.

Collapse -
whats cruel
by Mark5019 / November 16, 2005 10:13 AM PST

in your eyes isnt harmfull beats ignoring her lack of motivation.
if it was cold out but hey i see plentty homeless out side on streets is that cruel?

Collapse -
Just shows police aren't trained in psychology, Mark.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / November 16, 2005 9:41 PM PST
In reply to: not so

There's clear emotional abuse here, and not enough information to determine the facts. Is the girl being bullied at school? That could account for the reported symptoms. Is she one of the many who aren't really capable of more than Cs and Ds? Unfortunately, some kids are. Only in Lake Woebegone can all the kids be above average. Are the parents too strict with her, fomenting rebellion? That areticle is written entirely from the mother's perspective, and there are probably two sides to the story.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
I don't know...
by EdH / November 16, 2005 8:01 AM PST

kids can drive you around the bend.

Anyway I am pretty sure this is an Urban Legend. I think I first heard it about ten years ago and it pops up periodically. Unless that's where this mom got the idea.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It's called love, not abuse
by null. / November 16, 2005 8:08 PM PST
Collapse -
No, it's abuse "justified" by "love" -- if even that.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / November 16, 2005 9:43 PM PST

Some parents only see their kids as extensions of their own aspirations...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
The 'blatantly stupid' are...
by Edward ODaniel / November 17, 2005 4:20 AM PST

those who criticize the mother for doing her job as a parent and providing her child with a life lesson.

Punishment is not abuse nor are hard lessons.

Most of society's problems can be traced to the do-gooders who won't assign responsibility to the responsible party and want to lay all blame on other factors and demand to "investigate" those who are actually taking an interest in how their own children are turning out.

Historically provable--MOST children minded their parents and other adults prior to a certain Dr. Spock's misguided recommendations for child rearing.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) OH!!! A BIG Amen to that one!
by Glenda / November 17, 2005 4:35 AM PST
Collapse -
stop the whining folks
by Rick S / November 16, 2005 11:13 PM PST

what she is saying to the daughter is if you keep going down the road you are on here is where you will end up.

Don't give me this abuse crap. You don't have to like it, not your kid and not your family. Seems to have worked so far too.

Collapse -
Totally agree, Rick :)
by Glenda / November 16, 2005 11:32 PM PST
In reply to: stop the whining folks

Wish I had thought of this one when my 2nd girl was acting up!!! LOL
But then the method I chose did eventually work:)

Collapse -
Seems like a bit of ''tough love'' to me
by Josh K / November 17, 2005 12:35 AM PST

Maybe a rather extreme case since it was being carried out in public, but I don't know that it crosses the line into abuse. And the mother stood there with her so they were both on display, not just the daughter.

The mother sounds like an intelligent woman who, I presume, did have discussions with the school about possible reasons for her daughter's poor performance before taking this step.

Collapse -
I'm STARTING to Agree LOL
by Sasha Tee / November 17, 2005 12:36 AM PST

Ok guys, I'm starting to agree with the concept BUT ONLY FOR ADULTS. If somebody starts slacking off at work, jeopardizing his/her promotion, endangering his economic welfare, PUT HIS *** out on the street with a sign telling the world that he is in danger of losing his next promotion. That'll teach him.....or her Happy

Collapse -
That could work for CEOs too!
by Josh K / November 17, 2005 12:43 AM PST

Put them on the street with a sign reading, "I laid off 10,000 employees and gave myself a 3 million dollar bonus this year!"

Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Naw, that's solicting assault.
by Roger NC / November 17, 2005 12:49 AM PST
Collapse -
Hi Josh
by Sasha Tee / November 17, 2005 1:22 AM PST

Has your daughter adjusted to the move? Hope you're all very happy in your new home.

Collapse -
Hi Sasha
by Josh K / November 17, 2005 2:17 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Josh

She took to it like a fish to water, no problem. She's probably adjusted the quickest of the three of us.

We're very happy here so far, and if stories like this one are accurate, we did it at exactly the right time.

Thanks for asking.

Collapse -
but if you wait till there adults
by Mark5019 / November 17, 2005 1:37 AM PST

its to late enforce good learning/school work ethics while young

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?